World Suicide Prevention Day takes place on 10 September 2023 and is a chance for communities to come together to raise awareness of suicide prevention.
Cabinet Member for Health and Communities Councillor Carol Hart said:
“World Suicide Prevention Day is a chance for us all to tackle the stigma that prevents people from seeking help, as well as highlighting the support available.
“If you feel suicidal then please talk to someone. You are not alone and there is help out there.”
There will be a variety of events taking place across Derbyshire to support World Suicide Prevention Day.
Volunteers will speak with fans and hand out mental health information at football matches across the county. These will take place at:
- Belper Town: 2 September 2023
- Chesterfield FC: 9 September 2023
- Matlock Town: 23 September 2023
- Alfreton Town: 7 October 2023
- Buxton Town: 14 October 2023
Our Mental Health and Suicide Prevention Team have also created a short film in partnership with Chesterfield FC and local people, sharing their stories and how football has helped their mental health.
The Derbyshire Suicide Prevention Programme will also be holding suicide prevention stalls at:
- Ilkeston Hospital: Tuesday 5 September 2023 from 9am to midday
- Royal Derby Hospital: Tuesday 5 September 2023 from 1pm to 4pm
- Chesterfield Royal Hospital: Wednesday 6 September 2023 from 10am to 3pm
- Buxton Hospital: Monday 11 September 2023 from 9am to midday
- Walton Hospital: Monday 11 September 2023 from 1pm to 3pm
A community Baton of Hope event is being held in Glossop on 16 September 2023. Our Mental Health team are linking with local partners including Mentell, Derbyshire Fire and Rescue and the Derbyshire Suicide Prevention Programme to speak with people, offer support and raise awareness.