What this consultation is about
At the My Life My Way engagement some of you told us you wanted to:
- be active in your community
- learn new skills
- see friends
- find a job or volunteer
Our research showed us that less people with learning disabilities and autism are going to day centres. Young people are choosing to do other things. We are thinking about how we can support adults with a learning disability and autism in the future to achieve personal goals rather than going to day centres.
On 20 December 2018 our Cabinet will be asked to approve proposals to consult on ideas about how learning disability and autism services could be changed. Consultation means asking people what they think about our ideas. The government introduced the Care Act in 2014. This means we should make sure you lead a good life and be able to do the things you want to do.
The proposals Cabinet will be asked to agree to consult on are:
- people who are assessed as having the most complex needs could continue to use suitably equipped day centres to access community activities although the activities and location offered may change
- people who are newly referred to the service but do not have complex needs would be offered one-to-one support to access activities which for some people could include paid work, training or volunteering
- current service users can choose to continue to use day services if they so wish
- in future everyone will be assessed against our transport policy and some people may have to make and pay for their own travel arrangements to and from the day centre
- we would work with voluntary and independent organisations to encourage them to develop a wider range of opportunities available for people with learning disabilities and autism
- we re-model current work-based day services operated by us to become employment skills and training hubs - these services would offer more people the opportunity to receive training and support more people into work and where appropriate paid employment
We want you to be involved in designing the services we offer in the future which is why we would ask you what you think.
Your feedback on the proposals will help us with designing and planning future services.
We would welcome your help. Please let us know your views on these proposals.