Alert close - icon Fill 1 Copy 10 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Untitled-1 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Fill 1 Copy 10 menu Group 3 Group 3 Copy 3 Group 3 Copy Page 1 Group 2 Group 2 Skip to content

Community safety privacy notice

Privacy notice for community safety.

Who controls your data

The data controller is Derbyshire County Council.

Legal basis of processing

Most of our community safety work is done to fulfil one of our appointed public tasks, assigned to us under the Crime and Disorder Act 1998. However, we sometimes use other legal bases for processing your data:

  • legal obligation
  • law enforcement

Sometimes, we may process data which includes information on sensitive matters, such as your ethnic, political or religious affiliations or your health status. This is legally classed as 'special category' data. We take care only to process it with an appropriate legal justification. Very often this is for 'reasons of substantial public interest'. Where the processing is necessary for law enforcement purposes we might justify our processing as being in someone's vital interests, or for the safeguarding of children or other people who are at risk.

Information we collect and why

Public task

We have public roles regarding the safety of people living in Derbyshire.

Anti-social behaviour: Information about anti-social behaviour comes to us from sources including the police, and our elected members. We process as much information as will enable us to investigate properly. This includes people's names, addresses, dates of birth and details of personal circumstances, sometimes including health conditions.

Domestic abuse: Information about domestic abuse comes to us from the police, and from our direct contact with victims, to whom we offer support services. In addition to reports of specific incidents, we collect details such as names, addresses, dates of birth and details of personal circumstances.

Home safety: Much of our work is about undertaking projects to make neighbourhoods safer, for instance by improving street lighting, or by installing equipment such as sprinklers and burglar alarms in people's homes. We collect the names, addresses and dates of birth of the residents, and sometimes details of vulnerabilities qualifying them for assistance. Often, such projects are carried out in partnership with other agencies.

Refugee support services: we work with other agencies to support refugees, including people being resettled in Derbyshire homes under the government's Homes for Ukraine Scheme. We collect the names, dates of birth and contact details of the refugees and their sponsors, and other details needed in order to provide support, including the names and contact details of any volunteers who are involved.

Legal obligation

We collect in-depth personal information if the law requires us to. As well your name, address and date of birth, we may need to collect information about your life history or home life. This information usually comes from the police or other agencies, but only if there is a clear need for us to have it. For instance, we're legally obliged to process details of:

  • people named in domestic homicide reviews - we're legally required to convene these reviews by Section 9 of the Domestic Violence, Crime and Victims Act 2004
  • any requests for help with a community safety issue, including safeguarding concerns, and complaints or compliments about our services - we're legally empowered to pass on information that comes to us in such requests, under the Crime and Disorder Act 1998

Law enforcement

Where necessary, the police pass us information to help us tackle suspected harmful, dangerous or illegal activities such as modern slavery, organised crime or violent extremism. The information varies but may include names, addresses and details of people’s life histories and vulnerabilities.

Personal data will be processed in accordance with the Data Protection Act 2018 Part 3 - Law Enforcement Processing.

How long we keep your information

We follow the retention periods set out in the community safety retention schedule. Generally, that means we keep the information for 6 years after we close a file. But sometimes this period can be longer or shorter, if legally justified.

Sharing your information

It may be necessary to share your information. We only pass on as much detail as we really need to. For instance:

  • we share information relating to suspected anti-social or criminal behaviour with the police - we may need to work with local authorities, external support services or other agencies, too
  • we share information relating to domestic homicide reviews with the police and the Home Office
  • information relating to refugees accessing our services comes to us from the Home Office and may be shared with other local authorities (for instance, if someone moves from one area to another)
  • in the case of projects to improve home safety, we share the names and addresses of residents with project partners, and businesses that carry out the work

For consistency and transparency, we use formal agreements to share personal data, including:

  • Derbyshire and Derby City Integrated Offender Management Information Sharing Agreement
  • Derbyshire Constabulary Anti-Social Behaviour Information Sharing Agreement
  • Empowering Communities Inclusion and Neighbourhood Management System (E-CINS) Information Sharing Agreement

For more information read the Safer Derbyshire privacy statement.

Keeping your information safe

We're committed to protecting personal data and have data policies and procedures in place to ensure that it is safeguarded.

Your rights and who to contact about them

You can find out about your rights as a data subject but here are the main things you need to know.

If you do not want us to have your information any more, you're welcome to contact us and ask for it to be deleted. However, the law often gives us the right to refuse if we have a clear need to keep processing your data. If refusal is necessary, we'll explain why.

If you want a copy of your own information, please ask us.

If you want to complain about how we handle your personal data you can contact the data protection officer:

You also have the right to contact the Information Commissioner.

Find out other ways of getting in touch with us.