Alert close - icon Fill 1 Copy 10 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Untitled-1 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Fill 1 Copy 10 menu Group 3 Group 3 Copy 3 Group 3 Copy Page 1 Group 2 Group 2 Skip to content

Public Health complaints and praise

Public Health both delivers and commissions services and encourages feedback – whether positive (compliments) or negative (complaints) about any member of Public Health staff or commissioned service.


Under the regulations, the following people, or their representative, may complain:

  • a person who receives or has received services
  • a person who is affected, or is likely to be affected, by the action, omission or decision of the responsible body which is the subject of the complaint

A complaint may be made by a representative acting on behalf of an eligible person who:

  • has died
  • has requested the representative to act on their behalf, where there is evidence that consent has been given
  • is unable to make the complaint themselves because of physical incapacity, or lack of capacity within the meaning of the Mental Capacity Act 2005

If you need help to make a complaint, please see our information about advocacy support.

A complaint should be made within 12 months of the occurrence.

Contact us

You can tell us about your comment, praise or complaint to any Public Health staff member and may be made:


Public Health aim to acknowledge complaints in writing within 3 working days unless the complainant is happy to accept acknowledgement over the phone.

A written response will be sent within the agreed timescale given in the initial acknowledgement. The department's aspirational timescale is to respond within 10 working days of the acknowledgement but for more complex complaints where investigations require a longer time the complainant will be advised accordingly of the timescales.

Local Government Ombudsman

Should you remain dissatisfied after you've given us the opportunity to look into your concerns, you can contact the Local Government Ombudsman. Call their advice team on tel: 0300 061 0614. This line is currently only open from 9am to midday. Or you can write to:

Local Government Ombudsman
PO Box 4771