Alert close - icon Fill 1 Copy 10 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Untitled-1 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Fill 1 Copy 10 menu Group 3 Group 3 Copy 3 Group 3 Copy Page 1 Group 2 Group 2 Skip to content

Energy costs and grants

Energy costs are rising and the number of people in Derbyshire struggling with heating their homes will increase. There are many households who will need additional help to reduce their fuel bills and increase the energy efficiency of their homes.

Help with fuel bills

Energy bills are rising rapidly, and this will have a big impact on your household finances.

The government has announced a cost of living paymentif if you're entitled to certain benefits or tax credits. In addition they have also announced details of the energy bills support package.

Citizens Advice have a dedicated section on their website for support with paying your energy bills and income maximisation.

Marches Energy Agency works to help support anyone struggling to pay energy bills and also households wanting to improve their energy efficiency.

National Energy Action (NEA) can help some people with pre-payment meter gas and electricity vouchers having undertaken an assessment of income over the phone.

Energy at Home is an online resource by the Energy Trust which outlines affordable ways for households to cut their energy bills.

If you're receiving benefits, then you may be eligible for a single payment of £147. This will be credited to either the gas or electricity meter or split between both.

To access a payment for people using prepayment gas/electric meters, householders should apply by calling National Energy Action tel: 0800 304 7159 between 10am and midday during the week.

The Big Difference Scheme can help with water bills.

Winter bills

If you were born on or before 26 September 1956 you could get between £250 and £600 to help you pay your heating bills. This is known as a Winter Fuel Payment.

You may get a Cold Weather Payment if you're getting certain benefits. You'll get a payment if the average temperature in your area is recorded as, or forecast to be, 0°C or below over 7 consecutive days. If you're eligible, you'll get paid automatically

You could get £150 off your electricity bill for winter 2022 to 2023 if you are a pensioner on Pension Credit under the Warm Home Discount Scheme. The money is not paid to you - it's a one-off discount on your electricity bill, between October and March.

Keeping an eye on your fuel costs

If you're looking to switch energy supplier, Ofgem provides impartial advice about how to switch. Further information and advice are available from Everybody's Talking About Climate Change which also has contact details for district and borough councils.

If you rent your home, your landlord can't charge you for gas or electricity if you pay your supplier directly. Your landlord can only charge you for gas or electricity if your tenancy agreement says they can. Citizens Advice Bureau has more information on what your landlord can charge you for energy.

Around 35% of Derbyshire households don't have mains gas and often rely on heating oil to keep their houses warm. These households can join Rural Action Derbyshire's Community Oil Buying Scheme which bulk buys oil and helps spread the cost across the year. For more information please email: or tel: 01629 592970.

Smart meters are gradually being installed in all households in the UK. These give you very detailed information about the energy you're using and the costs and can automatically send this information to your gas and electricity suppliers. Ofgem has more information about whether a smart meter might work for you as well as links to other useful websites such as the Citizens Advice information on getting a smart meter installed.

Energy efficiency

You can get advice from the government about how to improve your energy efficiency.

We've also put together some advice on how you can reduce the amount of energy you use and save some money.

The Simple Energy Advice website also has lots of information about energy efficiency grants, keeping your home warm and lowering your bills.

Severn Trent offer ideas to help you save water with Get Water Fit.

If you're a keen gardener then why not consider putting water butts in place to collect rain water. This saves money and is better for the garden too. We work in partnership to offer reasonably priced water butts.

Energy grants and schemes

The Energy Company Obligation (ECO4) is a grant scheme to help householders in receipt of means tested benefits or on low incomes to improve the energy efficiency of their property.

The amount of grant you'll receive will vary depending upon your current Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rating and how much this will improve as a result of the energy efficiency work you want to carry out.

The government is shifting ECO4 funding towards insulation and low carbon heating systems.

Ask your energy supplier if you are eligible for an ECO4 grant.

Keeping your home warm

Staying healthy, warm and well in winter is important. We've put together a comprehensive guide containing all you need to know to keep yourself warm and well. There's a wide range of information on council, health, voluntary and community services across Derbyshire.

There's lots of advice about how to keep your home warm.

Derbyshire and Derby residents looking for impartial advice and practical tips on how to stay warm at home and cut their energy usage can call the 'Warmer Derby and Derbyshire' service free of charge tel: 0800 677 1332.

Priority services register

The priority services register is a free support service to help people in vulnerable situations. The scheme is offered by your energy supplier. If you are eligible and find it hard to deal with your energy supply, you could get extra help from your energy company.