Alert close - icon Fill 1 Copy 10 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Untitled-1 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Fill 1 Copy 10 menu Group 3 Group 3 Copy 3 Group 3 Copy Page 1 Group 2 Group 2 Skip to content

Same-sex marriage

Couples not already in an existing legal relationship can now legally marry by giving their Notices of Marriage up to 12 months before their ceremony date.

If you'd like to make a booking for a marriage ceremony, please contact one of our register offices.

If you've already booked a civil partnership ceremony with us but would now like to change this booking to a marriage ceremony, please contact the office where you made your original booking and the staff will be happy to discuss what you need to do next.

Unfortunately, same-sex couples cannot yet get married in British consulates, armed forces bases overseas or military chapels.

Civil partnership ceremonies

Civil partnership ceremonies are still available but only to same-sex couples.

Conversions and couples already in an existing legal relationship

If you wish to do so, you can convert your civil partnership into a marriage.

Although it may be possible to do so in the future, you can't yet convert your legal gender within a marriage and stay married.

Your local register office will aim to answer any questions you may have regarding marriage or civil partnerships.