The registration service is currently experiencing staffing issues and a high volume of phone calls and emails. We're also managing very full appointment diaries due to the high demand for birth, death and notice appointments, and conducting wedding and civil partnership ceremonies.
We apologise in advance for any delays or inconvenience caused to you when trying to contact any of our Derbyshire Offices. If staff cannot respond, it's because they're busy with appointments and helping other people.
If you email or phone our offices, please leave just one brief message. We'll respond to you as soon as possible. If additional messages are left, this will delay our response time to you.
The following offices are open to the public, but all are strictly by appointment only:
- Chesterfield Register Office
- Ashbourne Registration Office
- Bakewell Registration Office
- Buxton Registration Office
- Glossop Registration Office
- Ilkeston Registration Office
- New Mills Registration Office
- Ripley Registration Office
- Swadlincote Registration Office
Please do not attend at any of our offices without a pre-booked appointment because we'll not be able to see you, and some offices are only open if pre-booked appointments are taking place.
To register a death or still-birth
Please contact one of our offices to arrange a telephone appointment to register a death or still-birth.
The doctor who has completed the medical certificate of cause of death will scan the certificate to us, so you shouldn't attend the medical practice or hospital to collect it.
When you book the appointment, the registrar may ask you to bring the person's:
- birth certificate
- council tax bill
- driving licence
- marriage or civil partnership certificate
- NHS medical card
- proof of address such as a utility bill
At the appointment, the registrar will ask you:
- the person's full name and address (and any names previously used, for example maiden name)
- the person's date and place of birth (the town and county)
- their last address
- their occupation
- whether they were getting a State Pension or any other benefits
- the full name, date of birth and occupation of their surviving or late spouse or civil partner
When the registration is complete you'll be able to purchase death certificates which are £11 each. Card payment is preferable.
Birth registration appointments
You have 42 days (6 weeks) from the date baby was born to register the birth.
If your baby was born in Derbyshire you can register at any of the Derbyshire offices listed.
If your baby was born in Derby you can only register at the Ashbourne, Ilkeston, Ripley or Swadlincote offices.
All appointments are subject to availability.
Please check the information you need when registering a birth.
When the registration is complete you'll be able to purchase birth certificates which are £11 each. Card payment is preferable.
Marriages, civil partnerships or other ceremonies
To book your marriage, civil partnership or other ceremony, please contact the Register Office / Registration Office, in the area where your ceremony will take place.
Notice of marriage or civil partnership appointments
If you live in Derbyshire, you can make your notice appointment at any Derbyshire registration office. It doesn't need to be the one most local to where you live.
Please check the information you'll need to provide to the registrar when you attend your appointment to give notice of marriage or civil partnership.
If you don't bring the relevant documents, the registrar may need to reschedule your appointment.
Once you have received your invitation letter / email, from the Home Office, please contact the register office named on your invite to book your ceremony. You have up to 3 months from the date on your email, to attend your citizenship ceremony.
The current process is:
- Once your application has been processed the Home Office will send you an email notification, telling you that your application has been successfully completed. You'll receive an invitation by email to attend a ceremony at the office you've named in your application in due course.
- Please wait for your invitation email before contacting the register office. Registrars will not be able to assist you unless you have your Home Office invitation email.
- When you receive your Home Office invitation email, please contact Chesterfield Register Office, tel: 01629 533111, to book your citizenship ceremony.
- If you decide to have your ceremony at a different office, (for example, if you've moved house) you'll need to contact the Home Office to request this change.