This section provides information on 'The Landscape Character of Derbyshire' Publication.
In 1996 the Countryside Commission (now Natural England) published the Character Map of England. This identifies broad tracts of countryside that display similar characteristics.
The work identifies areas like the White Peak and Dark Peak and describes the landscape features that define its character and local distinctiveness.
We have developed this work further, in partnership with the district and borough councils. These broad character areas are sub-divided into landscape character types, such as riverside meadows and open moors, to describe the diversity of the landscape within the county (excluding the Peak National Park).
Written descriptions for the landscape character types of Derbyshire, supported by photographs and tables, have now been published in The Landscape Character of Derbyshire document.
What is it for?
The work is intended to inform planning policy at the regional, county and local level, development control and countryside management.
How do I get a copy?
The document is available in paper format and costs £40. On CD-rom it costs £10. Order a copy by emailing Rebekah.Tucker@derbyshire.gov.uk
Alternatively, you can view or download the document for free below.
Detailed mapping of Derbyshire's landscape character types can be found by visiting our mapping portal. (opens in a new window)
We are members of the East Midlands Regional Landscape Partnership.
Tel: 01629 539783
Tel: 01629 539779
Tel: 01629 533361
The following documents are in Portable Document Format (PDF). You can download software to view PDF documents for free from the Adobe website (opens in a new window)
- Introduction (2076KB)
- Dark Peak (1826KB)
- White Peak (1367KB)
- Derbyshire Peak Fringe and Lower Derwent (3779KB)
- Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire and Yorkshire Coalfield (3118KB)
- Southern Magnesian Limestone (1119KB)
- Needwood and South Derbyshire Claylands (2317KB)
- Trent Valley Washlands (1144KB)
- Melbourne Parklands (1018KB)
- Leicestershire and South Derbyshire Coalfield (459KB)
- Mease/Sence Lowlands (698KB)
- Part 2 - Managing Development and Landscape Change (44KB)
- Part 3 - Linking Landscape Character to Biodiversity (55KB)
- Glossary, Bibliography and Acknowledgements (94KB)
- Appendix 1 (78KB)
- Appendix 2 (15KB)
- Maps (605KB)