During the coronavirus pandemic we can support others as well.
The advice is government funded through the National Careers Service and provided by highly qualified staff. These career coaches are friendly, supportive and knowledgeable about all local learning and work opportunities.
Careers help is still available during the coronavirus pandemic
We've extended our support during the coronavirus pandemic to also include students in years 11, 12 and 13 whose exams have been cancelled (and their parents and carers) and to help employers who are recruiting to essential roles. And we're helping those who are unemployed or furloughed through use of the government's 'Skills Toolkit'. This has free courses for all abilities to help develop workplace and digital skills.
At the moment we can't offer our usual face-to-face appointments, drop in sessions or group workshops but we're still open for referrals and can give advice and support in the following ways:
- video calls
These are some of the sorts of advice and support we can give at a first session:
- advice and information on courses or training - this can include how to get funding and what further opportunities there may be
- exploring volunteering and work experience opportunities on offer across the county
- careers planning including help to understand the current labour market, identifying the skills you already have, new career paths and routes into employment
- how to write covering letters that will gain the attention of prospective employers
- how to write a CV or update an existing one
- helpful tips on finding new employment such as making the most of 'Find a Job', using social media and exploring the hidden labour market
- guidance on how to write an application form and relating it to a possible interview
- guidance on interview skills including tips on preparation and planning, types of interview and questions to expect
Everyone is offered further, personalised support after their initial appointment.
Please get in touch with your local careers coach to find out more:
Contact Sarah Kelly, careers coach:
Contact Wendy Leigh, careers coach:
Contact Yvonne Power, careers coach:
North East Derbyshire
Contact Becky Stancill:
Contact Chris Ellerington, careers coach:
Contact Louise Wilson, team leader/careers coach: