Alert close - icon Fill 1 Copy 10 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Untitled-1 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Fill 1 Copy 10 menu Group 3 Group 3 Copy 3 Group 3 Copy Page 1 Group 2 Group 2 Skip to content

Priority services register

The priority services register is a free support service to help people in vulnerable situations. The scheme is offered by your energy supplier.

If you are eligible and find it hard to deal with your energy supply, you could get extra help from your energy company. For example, they may be able to help by:

  • moving your prepayment meter if you struggle to access it
  • sending someone to check your meter regularly
  • sending your bills to another person to manage – for example a family member or carer
  • sending your bills in braille or large print
  • giving you extra/priority support if there's a power cut – for example sending someone to check on you, providing you with a hot meal, providing heating or cooking facilities
  • advance notice of power cuts
  • arranging a password or picture cards if callers need to visit or contact you so you can feel confident they are genuine

You are eligible if you:

  • have reached state pension age
  • are disabled or have a long-term medical condition
  • are recovering from an injury
  • have a hearing or sight condition
  • have a mental health condition
  • are pregnant or have young children
  • have extra communication needs

You may still be able to register for other reasons if your situation is listed and you feel you need additional help. For example, if you need short term support after a stay in hospital.

Register now by contacting your energy supplier or network operator directly. You can find your energy supplier if you're not sure who it is.

When you speak to your energy supplier or network operator give them as much information as you can about your needs.

Your supplier can pass details to your network operator to add you to their register as well. It’s a good idea to do this especially if you rely on your energy for medical reasons.

If you have a different supplier for your gas and energy you need to contact them both.

You'll need to register again if you change suppliers or move home.

Related support services

Suppliers can offer free gas safety checks every 12 months. You can request a safety check if you get a means-tested benefit and either:

  • live with a child under 5-years-old
  • live alone or with others who have reached state pension age
  • live alone or with others and are disabled or chronically ill
  • live with others who have reached state pension age or are disabled, chronically ill or under 18-years-old

Free similar services to the priority register are available in the water sector of Ofwat and Telecoms sector, Ofcom. Your local Citizens Advice can help you register if you are unable to do so yourself.