Here you will find a good reference collection of books covering the whole county with particular emphasis on South Derbyshire, Burton‑on‑Trent and the villages of North West Leicestershire.
Industries of local importance such as pottery and local families such as the Gresleys of Drakelow are well represented. Fiction by local authors such as L G J Layberry of Rolleston is also collected.
Printed resources include:
- Victoria County History volumes for Derbyshire and Leicestershire
- V Shaw's histories of local coal mines
- a few important sale catalogues are held for some historic houses and manors in the district including estate and land catalogues for the period 1872 to 1973.
There is a complete handlist of the reference collection available.
- Derbyshire Archaeological Journal, 1879 to 1996
- Derbyshire Life and Countryside from 1950
- Derbyshire Family History Society Magazine from 1984
- Derbyshire Miscellany from 1956
- Gresley parish magazine from 1965
- In Touch: Blackfordby and Woodville parish magazine from 1995
- Emmanuel News from 1976
- Repton, Foremark, Ingleby, Milton parish magazine 1980 to 1990.
Other resources at Swadlincote include:
- a run of electoral registers for South Derbyshire District from 1970 to 2001
- a complete set of Derbyshire directories available on microfiche from 1808 to 1977 plus some original directories
- a collection of over 500 photographs covering Swadlincote, South Derbyshire and North West Leicestershire dating from the 19th century to present day
- current large scale 25 inch Ordnance Survey maps of South Derbyshire, about 50 large scale OS maps of varying editions between the 1850s and 1938 for South Derbyshire and North West Leicestershire, Goad shopping centre plans for the town
- Census Enumerators' returns covering South Derbyshire and parts of North West Leicestershire including Ashby de la Zouch and Moira available on microfiche; 1841 to 1901 and 1991 census profiles for parishes and wards in South Derbyshire District Council; Derbyshire unemployment statistics for South Derbyshire from November 1985 and for the whole county from 2000
- a useful name index for Melbourne and gravestone inscriptions for Netherseal St Peter's and Sudbury All Saints on microfiche
- CDs of music by local people such as Peter Glyde of Hartshorne and John Port School band and presentations such as the National Forest Landshapes project, local newspapers include the Burton Mail and Derby Evening Telegraph (only held on file for one month); there are some interesting old newspapers on microfilm and a small collection of news cuttings on Swadlincote and other South Derbyshire towns and villages dating from the late 19th century to the present day relating to pottery, mining, open casting and other topics of local interest.