Local studies at Eckington Library
Eckington’s local history resources have been upgraded in the last few years by popular request.
Resources available include:
- whole Derbyshire histories
- many North East Derbyshire and South Yorkshire titles
- material on the immediate area
- many locally produced booklets of photographs and reminiscence
- some Parish Council and Burial Committee material
- extensive collection of books by and about the Sitwell family of Renishaw
- locally written studies such as Bennett's history of education in 19th century Eckington.
- "how to do it" books
- microfiches and CD ROMs of national significance including the British Isles Genealogical Register, the National Burial Index and the 1881 British Census Index
- microfiched copies of Eckington, Beighton, Mosborough and Ridgeway Parish Registers
- local census returns are available on microfiche for all available years 1841 to 1901 covering Eckington parish, including Mosborough, Renishaw and all the smaller settlements, plus Killamarsh parish.
- photographic collection of around 250 images
- a few Sheffield Kelly’s Trade directories on the shelves to supplement the microfiched set of Derbyshire Trade Directories
- a news cuttings file dating from 1976 on
- a microfilm reader gives access to local newspapers including the Eckington Leader and a file of the Derbyshire Times from 1900 to 1949.
Go to Eckington Library