We have a wide range of periodicals covering many aspects of Derbyshire life and the study of local and family history. Popular titles are:
- Derbyshire Life and Countryside from 1931
- East Midland Geographer from 1954
- Derbyshire Archaeological Society Journal from 1879
- Mercian Geologist" from 1964.
Useful periodicals on local and family history are:
- Local History from 1984
- Derbyshire Family History Society Branch Newsletter from 1976
- The Local Historian (formerly The Amateur Historian) from 1952
- Family Tree Magazine from 1984.
A complete set of Derbyshire directories is available on microfiche from 1808 to 1973 and some original directories are also held. In addition there are two good annual publications:
- T P Wood's Almanac 1868 to 1905; 1916 to 1940; 1958 to 1964. Useful for its mass of directory type information on Chesterfield, and chronology of local events.
- Chesterfield Year Book, 1913 to 1921. A similar publication of a limited period but including a trades directory and a list of residents arranged under streets.
Another major source of information on individuals is the historic collections of voters lists for Chesterfield, North East Derbyshire and Bolsover Districts.