Alert close - icon Fill 1 Copy 10 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Untitled-1 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Fill 1 Copy 10 menu Group 3 Group 3 Copy 3 Group 3 Copy Page 1 Group 2 Group 2 Skip to content

Derby Canal (Sandiacre)

The Derby Canal was built by James Brindley in 1796. It ran from Swarkestone, on the Trent and Mersey Canal to Sandiacre, on the Erewash Canal. 
Derby Canal Sandiacre

The canal eventually closed in 1964, giving way to the new and faster transport of the day, the railways.  Very few sites still have water, but those that have can be seen at Swarkestone, Sandiacre and Spondon.

This section of the former Derby canal is now part of a multiuser route suitable for cycling, horse riding and walking.

Facilities available

  • Bridleway/Horse riding trail


  • Cycle path


  • Footpath


Contact details