Alert close - icon Fill 1 Copy 10 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Untitled-1 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Fill 1 Copy 10 menu Group 3 Group 3 Copy 3 Group 3 Copy Page 1 Group 2 Group 2 Skip to content

Bridges and structures on rights of way

We have a replacement programme for bridges and structures, including boardwalks and retaining walls, on public rights of way.

We're responsible for the maintenance of bridges carrying a public path crossing natural water courses.

Either ourselves or the landowner will be responsible for the maintenance of bridges crossing ditches.

Where public rights of way go across a bridge used as vehicular access to premises we may seek a contribution for its upkeep.

The time it takes to provide a bridge

The time it takes to provide a bridge depends on the location and size of the structure. Sometimes we have to wait until crops are harvested or ground conditions are correct before we can start work.

We'll provide you with a timescale for the provision of a bridge. If there's a danger to the public we will close the path while we carry out the work.

A large structure may cost a considerable sum of money.

Small repairs

With small repairs, such as adding handrails to a bridge, we'll carry out the work within a few weeks. If there's a likelihood of injury to the public then we will carry out the repairs straight away or, in extreme situations, close the path in the interests of public safety.

Report a defective bridge or retaining wall