Alert close - icon Fill 1 Copy 10 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Untitled-1 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Fill 1 Copy 10 menu Group 3 Group 3 Copy 3 Group 3 Copy Page 1 Group 2 Group 2 Skip to content

Stand for election as a county council candidate

Could you represent the views of local people on a range of issues? Find out about standing for election as a county councillor.

Members of Derbyshire County Council have a wide range of duties. These range from representing the day to day interests of the people who elect them, to involvement in broader issues of interest to the council and local government as a whole.

Elections for membership of the council take place every four years.

The county has 61 electoral divisions and in most one councillor is elected per division (also sometimes called a ward). There are also three divisions in the county where two councillors will be elected to represent.

Standing for election

To qualify as a candidate for local elections you must:

  • be a British or Commonwealth citizen, a citizen of the Republic of Ireland or a citizen of the European Union
  • be 18 years of age or more on the date of nomination
  • not be disqualified from holding office.

Candidates also have to meet one or more of the following criteria:

  • they must be included on the electoral register and be a local government elector for the area on the date of nominations and thereafter
  • they must have occupied, as owner or tenant, any land or other premises in the area during the 12 months prior to nominations
  • their principal or only place of work must have been in the area for the previous 12 months
  • they must have resided in the area for the whole of the previous 12 months.

A candidate for all local elections must complete a nomination paper in order to stand for election. The nomination paper has to be signed by the requisite number of electors who live within the electoral ward, parish or division and must be returned by the statutory deadline together with the candidate’s consent to nomination.

Further information about standing for election is available from the returning officer at the appropriate district and borough councils.

People with further queries can email: