These were people appointed rather than elected who, until the reorganisation of local government in 1974, made up a quarter of the members.
Overseeing proceedings was the first chairman, Sir Thomas William Evans Baronet (Bt.) of Allestree Hall at which he and 70 other members set the first budget of £91,000 based on a county rate (council tax) of 6 and three-quarter old pence, less than 3p in today’s money.
Three years later in 1892 he was succeeded by Sir Henry Wilmot Bt., who had been awarded the Victoria Cross at the siege of Lucknow in 1858. The third chairman was Lord Waterpark of Doveridge who served from 1899 until 1901 when he was succeeded by George Herbert Strutt of the famous Belper textile family. Alderman Strutt was a considerable philanthropist. Herbert Strutt School in Belper is named after him and he made many other contributions to local services until the end of his term of office in 1913.
Local industry was also represented in the next chairman, James Oakes of Riddings. He served until 1920. His successors were Alderman C E Barnes (1920 to 1937) and Alderman H R Cleaver who took office in 1937.
The following year, 1938, the Derbyshire County Council formally adopted a coat of arms incorporating the motto ‘Bene consulendo’ meaning ‘By wise deliberation’. The cost of the coat of arms was met by an elected member, Captain H FitzHerbert Wright and Alderman E C Barnes presented the council with its new seal incorporating this coat of arms.