Alert close - icon Fill 1 Copy 10 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Untitled-1 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Fill 1 Copy 10 menu Group 3 Group 3 Copy 3 Group 3 Copy Page 1 Group 2 Group 2 Skip to content

Derbyshire Environmental Trust

Derbyshire Environmental Trust was set up in 1997 to raise landfill funds for community and environmental projects across the county. The Trust also has experience of managing other grant funding including Aggregates Levy Sustainability Funds and the Lodge House Surface Mine Community Fund.

The Landfill Communities Fund (LCF)

The Landfill Communities Fund (LCF) was formerly known as the Landfill Tax Credit Scheme. It was set up in 1996. The fund enables landfill operators to donate part of their annual tax liability to environmental bodies such as DET. The donations can then be spent on eligible community and environmental projects.

The landfill operator can reclaim 90% of its contribution as a tax credit. The remaining 10% can be found either by them or an independent third party.

Who can apply

Applicants must be not for profit, have a constitution, elected officers and a bank account. Projects cannot already have started and must be open to the public.

For details of the type of projects that are eligible see the approved objects document attached to this page.

The current funding round has now closed.

Derbyshire Environmental Trust (DET)

To meet the need for landfill tax contributions to go through an environmental body, DET was established in August 1997.

DET is registered with ENTRUST (the regulator of the LCF) as an environmental body (No. 014033). It is registered in England as a company limited by guarantee (No. 3428850) and is a registered charity (No.1115855).

The Trust is also able to manage other funding streams and has previously managed Aggregates Levy Sustainability Fund and the Lodge Surface Mine Community Fund.

To date, DET has secured around £26 million from landfill operators for over 1,000 projects throughout Derbyshire and further afield.

DET members

The following is a list of DET members.

  • Derby City Council: Councillor Lucy Care
  • Derbyshire County Council: Councillor Tony King
  • Derbyshire Historic Buildings Trust: Cathie Clarke
  • Rural Action Derbyshire: Bev Parker (chair)
  • Derbyshire Wildlife Trust: Ben Carter
  • Peak District National Park Authority: Anna Badcock
  • University of Derby: Rosemary Horry
  • N/A (independent members): Ian Cotter (vice chair)


Company secretary, Paul Peat

For company secretary, Sarah Bond, email: tel: tel:01629538355

Financial officer, Mark Kenyon

For financial officer, Andrew King, email 

Trust manager, Sarah Walton, email or tel: 01629 539182

Administration and projects officer, Sally Nadin, email or tel: 01629 538614

The Derbyshire Environmental Trust Funding Scheme is not currently open for applications, please contact the office for details of when the next round is anticipated and / or details of the Tarmac Landfill Communities Fund or Walleys Community Fund.

Tarmac Landfill Communities Fund

The Trust has administered this fund nationally since 2005. If your project is near to a Tarmac quarry, waste, cement or lime site you may be eligible to apply for a grant.

In Derbyshire, Tarmac has such sites at Whitwell, Barrow on Trent / Swarkestone, Cromford, Ballidon and Tunstead (near Buxton).

There are also sites at Alrewas and Oakamoor (Staffordshire borders) and Lockington (Leicestershire border). Normally projects must be in a 7-mile radius of such a site. The project site must also be within a 10-mile radius of a licensed landfill site.

For full details and an application pack:

Walleys Communities Fund

You can apply for a grant from this scheme if your project is within a 10 mile radius of Walleys landfill site in Silverdale, Staffordshire, ST5 6SB.

Contact the Derbyshire Environmental Trust for full details and an application pack:

Other sources of funding under the Landfill Communities Fund

There are other possible sources of funding available through the Landfill Communities Fund and organisations can apply to this fund directly. Please contact the trust to find out more about how to apply.