Choosing a career in care work
Making a difference to the lives of older people in Derbyshire is just one of the rewards of being one of our care workers. There are lots of other good reasons why choosing a career in care could be right for you.
- Variety − our 1,500 care workers are helping keep people safe in their own homes, residential homes, specialist care centres and extra care housing schemes. There's a variety of roles to choose from including care workers in the community, in residential homes and in day centres.
- Growing job sector − due to people living longer, adult social care is one of the few job sectors that's growing. Currently Derbyshire's population of over 65s is 160,300. By 2020, that's set to increase to more than 180,000 − with 15% over 75.
- Flexible working − roles in direct care can offer flexible hours, which may suit you better than the usual 9 to 5.
- Career progression and promotion − caring brings its own challenges, but the work you do on a day-to-day basis is varied − no two days are the same. There's also scope to progress your career and open doors to a number of different job paths.
- Qualifications and experience are not a necessity − although previous experience in a care setting does help, for a lot of care-related jobs no formal qualifications or experience is needed and we provide you with the training you need.
- Job satisfaction − working as a carer is very rewarding. Knowing that your job is helping make a difference to people's lives can give you a real sense of achievement.