We need to cut £157m by 2017/2018 – that’s almost a third of our annual net budget. We're facing large reductions in the grants we receive from government, the effects of inflation and increasing pressure on services for adult social care and vulnerable children.
We need to examine every penny we spend and this is what Smarter Travel is helping to do. We all need to think about the need to travel and how you make your business trips to help save money and protect services.
Since 2010, over £6m has been saved by departments through the Smarter Travel programme but we still need to make another £2m by 2015. If we can save more, all the better!
Smarter Travel aims to:
- Reduce the need for you to travel to do some parts of your job.
- Review and make better use of our core fleet vehicles.
- Provide efficient, fit for purpose transport for people using our services.
- Reduce the cost, financially and environmentally, of any travel done.
- Help you travel more sustainably and cheaper to and from work.
Smarter Travel covers:
- Promoting alternatives to travel where possible - the use of technology.
- Grey fleet mileage - employees using their own vehicles.
- Core fleet - county council vehicles, often referred to as orange vans.
- Non-employee travel - use of buses and taxis for people accessing our services.
- Cheaper and sustainable transport at work - increasing the use of pool cars, public transport, bicycles and car sharing for work journeys.
- Miles Better - our campaign to increase sustainable transport to and from work - walking, cycling, public transport and car share.
Keep up-to-date with Smarter Travel by checking out the latest bulletin.