Miles Better isn’t about telling staff never to travel by car. It’s about getting them to consider, where appropriate, alternative ways of getting to and from work – even if it’s commuting in a different way once a week. This includes cycling, walking, car sharing and using public transport.
Your Miles Better departmental representative:
- Adult Care - Jem Brown ext: 32068
- Children's Services - Claire Howells ext: 35731
- Commissioning, Communities and Policy (HR) - Mike Calladine ext: 39313
- Economy, Transport and Environment - Richard Lovell ext: 38192 or Philip J Smith ext: 38083
- Public Health - Andy Raynor tel: 07867 987336.
Public transport – buses and trains
Most of Derbyshire's key towns and villages are served by buses and some by train. Staff can take advantage of discounted tickets from a number of operators. For example:
- 10% off Stagecoach Megarider weekly tickets for travel in the Chesterfield area as well as across the region. Available from County Hall, Matlock and Chesterfield library.
- Mango cards, which automatically provide discounts, are a great way to save money on Trent Barton buses and can also be used on the Nottingham NET Tram.
- Trent Barton Super Commuter season tickets can be paid for through salary deductions.
- Discounted monthly or annual tickets are also available on some other buses and trains, including Arriva and Centrebus.
- Apply for an interest-free loan to buy an annual season ticket for bus and selected train travel.
- Apprentices, working on our behalf, can get help with the cost of their first six weeks public transport tickets to work through Wheels 2 Work. They can also take advantage of some other Miles Better initiatives.
Stagecoach Megarider weekly tickets are now loaded onto a Stagecoach Smart travel card for ease of use. You will need to show your identity badge to get 10% discount on Megarider tickets.
We're now offering our staff 10% discount on four different types of Stagecoach Megarider weekly tickets which are all available from Chesterfield Library and by showing your photo ID badge. Prices below include 10% discount for staff and are for unlimited weekly travel including commuting, shopping and leisure.
- Chesterfield Megarider; £11.07 (for travel in Chesterfield)
- Chesterfield Megarider Plus; £12.87 (for travel in and around Chesterfield)
- Sheffield Megarider Plus; £15.75 (which includes the Sheffield Super Tram)
- Megarider Gold; £19.80 (which includes travel on the Stagecoach Gold X19 bus service between Sheffield, Chesterfield and Matlock as well as the Sheffield Super Tram). This ticket is also available from Alfreton Library as well as County Hall cash office.
Littles Travel are also offering employees six day unlimited bus travel for just £20 (normally £25). This ticket is interchangeable between Clay Cross, Alfreton, Ripley, Belper, Nether Heage, Crich and Matlock. Employees will need to show their identity badge in order to receive this discount.
We can also offer interest free loans for Trent Barton annual Super Commuter tickets. Mango Cards are also great and give discounts on Trent Barton standard single fares plus a maximum daily charge, as well as can be used on the Nottingham NET Tram.
Public transport can be a great way to travel to work. It can save money and can help reduce single occupancy car use as well help the environment. Also folding bikes which are covered over can usually be carried on buses and trains which makes great door to door journeys.
Contact us for more information, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
To plan a journey to work by bus or train check out the East Midlands journey planner. There are also online timetables at:
Cycling is becoming increasingly popular and can also be a great way to commute to work.
Why not take advantage of our Cycle to Work Scheme. You make a monthly payment direct from your salary and in return save money on bikes and equipment costing up to £1,000. Plus there's the added benefit of keeping fit.
Staff who don't qualify for the Cycle to Work Scheme may be able to borrow a pool bike which can be loaned on a short-term basis.
Secure cycle parking, clothing lockers and shower and changing rooms are offered at some work bases and we continue to look at rolling out facilities at other sites.
Clothing lockers for cyclists do become available at County Hall. Please contact us for further information.
Free County Rider cycle training is now available for adults who live, work or study in all areas of Derbyshire. The great thing about County Rider one to one cycle training is that the programme can be tailored to suit your needs. Your instructor will design the programme to suit you whether you're a complete beginner or an experienced cyclist who wants to become an even better and safer rider.
If you would like specific information about a route to work then please contact us.
For information about cycle routes in the Chesterfield area and other useful cycling information check out the Chesterfield Cycle Network project.
Eroica Britannia will be taking place 15 to 17 June 2018 at Friden Grange.
Join Eroica in the beautiful Peak District for one of the most talked about events in the cycling and festival calendars. Be a part of The World's Most Handsome Bike Ride on Sunday 17 June 2018, brought to you exclusively by Eroica Britannia.
Car sharing saves money and helps reduce congestion – plus you can enjoy a shared social journey.
There are dedicated car share places at:
- County Hall - 39 places
- Chatsworth Hall - eight places
- Shand House - two places.
Find out more information about car sharing and join our scheme.
The average round trip to work is 16 miles so walking all the way for many employees is not an option. But could you ‘park and stride?’
This is where you park, responsibly, some way from your destination and walk the remainder of the journey.
If you work at Shand House there is a park and stride facility at Darley Bridge picnic site.
Walking is great; it is free and does not require any special equipment or planning. Over time, you could save cash, and help stay fit, particularly if you walk energetically.
For more information about any of the Miles Better initiatives please contact us:
There will be a Miles Better information point on the first Tuesday of every month in County Hall's main reception between midday and 2pm.
For more information about any of the Miles Better initiatives, please contact us: