Alert close - icon Fill 1 Copy 10 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Untitled-1 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Fill 1 Copy 10 menu Group 3 Group 3 Copy 3 Group 3 Copy Page 1 Group 2 Group 2 Skip to content

Income tax - employees

This page gives important information on income tax and how to contact HM Revenue and Customs.

You must always quote your National Insurance number and tax reference when contacting HM Revenue and Customs. For our employees, this is:

Tax reference: Nottingham 507/D1 
HM Revenue and Customs
Pay As You Earn
PO Box 4000
CF14 8HR

Tel: 0300 200 3300  

However, if you are a pensioner, your tax reference is: Nottingham 507/D2


Rates of Income Tax

The rates of income tax for the year 2011/2012 are:

Basic Rate 20 per cent up to £35,000  
Higher Rate 40 per cent from £35,001 to £150,000
Additional Rate 50 per cent from £150,001 and above

These rates apply to a person's taxable income after the deduction of any tax allowance.

New employees

As a new employee of the county council, you may have a form P45 if you had previous employment. Here's what you should do with it.

Part one A

Keep this in a safe place, as you may need it for the completion of a tax form.

Parts two and three

these are the copies that you must pass to the Shared Services Centre to enable the correct amounts of income tax to be deducted from your pay. You may be put on an emergency code if your P45 is for a previous tax year. 

If you do not have a form P45, you must complete a form P46 and forward it immediately to the Payroll Section. You can download a copy from the related documents section below. 

It's in your interest to send in a P45 or P46 as soon as possible.

End of year information

Form P60

Soon after the end of the tax year, you will be given a Certificate of Pay and Tax (form P60). This gives details of your pay, tax, National Insurance and pension contributions for the year. You must keep this form safe, as it may be required for completing a tax return and possibly education grant forms. 

Form P11D 

Form P11D shows any taxable benefits you have received from the council. Once again, you will need this for completing your tax return, as it shows the profit or allowance on your mileage payment.