The equality and diversity policy is attached to this page.
The policy sets out our commitment to advancing equality and celebrating the diversity within Derbyshire. As a major employer and provider of services we're committed to advancing equality of opportunity and providing fair access and treatment in employment and when delivering services.
Our commitment to equality and diversity
We comply with and embrace equality law and good practice, including carrying out our public duties to promote equality as set out in the Equality Act 2010. This involves:
- eliminating unlawful discrimination
- advancing equality of opportunity between people who share a protected characteristic and those who don’t
- fostering good relations between people who share a protected characteristic and those who don’t
Protected characteristics which are covered by the Equality Act 2010 are:
- gender reassignment
- marriage and civil partnership
- pregnancy and maternity
- religion and belief, including non-belief
- sexual orientation
We adopt and publish equality objectives and publish information to demonstrate our compliance. We regularly monitor, assess and consult on the impact of our policies and services to ensure they are fair.
We celebrate diversity in Derbyshire and support initiatives for greater equality and awareness
We embed equality and diversity into our everyday business. We expect all our councillors, managers, employees and contractors to treat everyone with dignity and respect and provide the best possible standards of service to all our customers.
To support our commitment to being a fair and supportive employer we:
- carry out recruitment fairly and effectively
- aim to employ a workforce that reflects the population of Derbyshire
- make reasonable adjustments to enable employees to start or maintain jobs with us
- don’t tolerate unacceptable behaviour at work and take necessary action to deal with it
- provide fair and transparent pay, reward and employment conditions
- promote a work-life balance and opportunities to work flexibly
- work to recruit and retain a skilled and diverse workforce
- continue to develop and support opportunities for employees from diverse backgrounds