Flooding (drainage and gullies)

Blocked road drain

A major part of the road network is the drainage system, designed to take water away from the road surface. Problems can occur even when it is clean and well maintained. Find out how to report flooding.

Flooded or waterlogged roads happen when the amount of water on the road is more than the road drainage can cope with.

Exceptional rainfall, a road being in a low lying area or changes in 'run off' water from nearby land are some of the reasons why a road might flood even though the drainage system is in good working order.

Drainage systems should work without any routine maintenance, although we do normally empty gullies once a year to remove silt.

Drainage gullies and drains can become blocked very quickly when materials like mud or stones are carried onto the road during heavy rain or flooding. This can also happen when there is a heavy fall of leaves.

Report flooding on roads

For flooding on, or from public roads, or to report blocked gullies or gratings please complete the form on this page.

Land drainage

We are responsible for maintaining and repairing drainage and culverts on land we own.

We may take action against land owners where problems are caused on the road because of damaged drainage on their land.

If you notice flooding or can see that flooding is about to happen on a road please Call Derbyshire, tel: 01629 533190.

The district or borough council may also serve notice on riparian landowners to remove blockages to watercourses on their land. A riparian owner is someone who owns land which a watercourse or river passes through. This is defined in the Land Drainage Act 1991.

We wouldn't usually get involved in cases where flooding is caused on private property due to run-off from another private property. This is a civil matter between the two landowners.

Report other types of flooding

Flooding from public sewers

The water company own and manage the network of public foul and surface water sewers.

To report an overflowing public sewer in Derbyshire, you should contact Severn Trent Water (opens in a new window) tel: 0800 7834444 or, if you live in the north east of the county, Yorkshire Water (opens in a new window) tel: 0845 1242424.

Flooding from private sewers or drains

If your private drains or sewers are overflowing, you will need a drainage contractor to deal with any blockage.

If you are uncertain if any blockage is in the public or private sewers, the water company should be able to determine this once they are on-site, then recharge you the cost of any work if it is a private sewer.

Flooding from a burst water main

Your local water company is responsible for the supply of water mains up to and including the water stopcock.

In the event of a burst water main, please contact your local water supply company. Their number will be in your telephone directory, on your water bill, or can be found on the internet.

Flooding from a water service pipe or internal pipework

This is the responsibility of the homeowner or landlord and would need the attention of a plumber.

Flooding from a main river

The main rivers are the responsibility of the Environment Agency (opens in a new window) tel: 0845 933 3111.

Sign up for flood warnings (opens in a new window).

Flooding from watercourses, other than main rivers

Watercourses, other than main rivers, are the responsibility of riparian owners.

You are a riparian owner if your property or land is on, or very near, a watercourse.

Riparian owners have a duty to keep the watercourse clear of any obstruction to flow and we serve legal notices on riparian owners to deal with obstructions.

Certain 'strategic' watercourses, that are known to pose a high risk of property flooding if they become blocked, are checked and maintained by our contractor on a regular basis.

You may also like to find out more about how we deal with flooding.

Also on our website

Reporting current flooding

Please select the type of flooding from the following options.


    • If you are having trouble using the map to locate the position of the fault or request please see our self help guide for more information.

      Close self help guide

    • Using the map

      Search button  Use the search box to find the location of a postcode, street, town or village as well as other relevant items (such as street lights). If you are using a device with GPS capability you will also have the option to use your current location.

       Layer switcher   Turn on or off different map layers. Switching to the aerial photo map may help to identify other landmarks.

      Zoom button  Zoom in by clicking on the map or using the + or - zoom buttons before selecting the location of the report or request.

      Mouse pointer  Click on the map to select a feature from the resulting list.

      Still having problems

      You can call Call Derbyshire on 01629 533190.


    If you are unable to use the map to identify the location of the report or request please provide as much detail as possible about its location.


    Please provide as much detail as possible in your report including the time and date that you observed the issue.

    Please provide as much detail as possible about your report
    • Save
    • Cancel

    Saved reports

    No reports have been saved. Please click on the map to identify the location of the fault.

    If you would like to include a photo of a fault please add it now.

    If you wish to make a change delete the fault in the list below and then locate and identify the fault on the map.

      Do you want to report anything else?

      If you'd like to send additional reports or requests please repeat the steps above before submitting this form.

      Can we contact you?

      In case we need a bit more information to respond to your report or request it would be useful to have a method of contacting you.

      Your details will not be passed on to any other outside agencies.

      Your name

      Your email address

      If you provide an email address we will send you a confirmation of this report or request.

      This email address will also be used if you allow us to contact you if we need further information.


      Check to see that you have provided clear and accurate information.

      If we cannot find your fault and you do not want to be contacted we may not be able to resolve it. Please consider this when submitting your report or request.

      error Please correct the information in the fields highlighted above.