Staying safe and well at winter
Is your home ready for winter?
Here are a few simple steps you can take to help prevent problems later:
- check that pipes are adequately lagged
- check that you have ordered your winter heating fuel
- get your chimney or flue swept
- get a supply of grit to use on paths and steps around your property
- stock up on tinned food and supplies for your freezer
- check that you know where your stop tap is located - in case a pipe bursts
- test your central heating - get your boiler serviced and make sure radiators are hot from top to bottom
- if you have a condensing boiler, check that the external pipe is insulated
- be especially aware of fire safety - particularly if you are planning to use portable heaters, open fires or stoves - install a battery-operated carbon monoxide detector and smoke alarms and test them every week
If you're looking for a for a local trader to help prepare your home for winter, or make repairs, you can find reputable businesses on our Trusted Trader list or through Call Derbyshire tel: 01629 533190.