Alcohol and substance use by young people

Concerned that a young person is misusing drugs or alcohol?

If you're worried about a child or young person using alcohol or drugs you can speak to a school nurse or a member of your multi-agency team. Your local multi-agency team can also support families and close friends.

For information about the harmful effects of alcohol or drugs you can contact school nurses, youth workers or Talk to Frank (opens in a new window).

Specialist services

If a young person needs more specialist support, to help them reduce, or to stop using substances, a referral can be made to Derbyshire CGL - this is a confidential service for all young people aged from 10 to 19 which aims to help reduce the risks and harm associated with alcohol or drug misuse.

Referrals can be made by telephone or via the Derbyshire CGL website (opens in a new window).

For further information please contact Derbyshire CGL on tel: 01773 303646.

If the young person you are concerned about is a child in care, contact Lisa Colville from our substance misuse and children in care team, tel: 07825 116 367.

Service for children affected by the substance misuse of others

The Space 4 U service aims to deliver sessions to support children and young people who are, or who have been, affected by the substance use of other significant people around them. It works on a locality outreach basis, visiting or meeting children and young people where they feel most comfortable to meet, be this at home, school or other safe environment.

Find out more about Space 4 U (opens in a new window) including how to make a referral. Alternatively you can email: or tel: 01246 277 422.

Also on our website