Facts and figures
Statistics about children and young people in Derbyshire.
Approximately 155,797 children and young people under the age of 18 live in Derbyshire − 20% of the population.
The proportion of children entitled to free school meals is below average:
- 15.3% in primary schools (the national average is 18.1%)
- 12.2% in secondary schools (the national average is 15.1%).
Children and young people from minority ethnic groups account for 4.1% of all children living in the area.
The proportion of children with English as an additional language is lower than the national average:
- 1.8% in primary schools (the national average is 18.2%)
- 1.1% in secondary schools (the national average is 13.9%).
Figures for 31 March 2013 show:
- 4,410 children had been found through assessment to be in need of a specialist children's service − a reduction from 4829 in March 2012
- 588 children and young people were the subject of a child protection plan - an increase of 36 children since March 2012.