Who we share data with

We pass on child data to the following third party organisations, as the law allows:

Department for Education (DfE)

The DfE uses information about children for research and statistical purposes, to inform, influence and improve policy and to monitor the performance of council services as a whole − education and social care.

Pupil information may be matched with other data sources that the department holds in order to model and monitor pupils' educational progression and to provide comprehensive information back to councils and learning institutions to support their day-to-day business.

The DfE may also use contact details to obtain samples for statistical surveys. These surveys may be carried out by research agencies working under contract to the department and participation in such surveys is usually voluntary. The department may also match data from these sources to data obtained from statistical surveys.

Child data may also be shared with other Government departments and agencies (including the Office for National Statistics) for statistical or research purposes only.

In all these cases the matching will require that individualised data is used in the processing operation, but that data will not be processed in such a way that it affects particular individuals or identifies individuals in any results. This data sharing will be approved and controlled by the department's chief statistician.

The DfE may also pass on individual pupil information to independent researchers into the educational achievements of pupils who have a legitimate need for it for their research, but each case will be determined on its merits and subject to the approval of the department's chief statistician. More about the department's policy for sharing data with independent researchers, information about data collections and how the DfE uses child data can be found on their website.

NHS Services

NHS services use information about children for research and statistical purposes, to monitor the performance of local health services and to evaluate and develop them. The statistics are used in such a way that individual pupils cannot be identified from them.

However, Department of Health monitoring programmes, such as the child measurement programme into height and weight of children in England and various child vaccination programmes, do require individual child details to be maintained by commissioned NHS services using data from us.

NHS services may also request individual child identifiable data to enable them to contact parent/carers in order to ensure they have access to child health programmes and school nurse provision for their children.

Other Government departments

We are required to send data to government departments such as the Qualifications and Curriculum Development Agency and Youth Justice Board. 

When required we have a legal obligation to share information with other agencies to assist in the prevention of crime or fraud such as the police or benefit agencies.

We have committed to deliver the Troubled Families Programme in our area on behalf of the Communities and Local Government Department.  Please visit the Troubled Families (opens in a new window) page for further information about data sharing and linking.  

Our partner agencies

There are occasions when we may need to share your information so that you or your children receive services that you or your child needs. These agencies include:

  • schools and other educational establishments
  • other local authorities (councils)
  • police and criminal justice agencies
  • fire and rescue services
  • learning support providers
  • agencies working with children and young people.

Wherever possible we will discuss the reasons for sharing information with you and ask for your consent. However in some circumstances, when we feel that you or others are at risk, we may share information without your consent. For example, designated child protection staff within Derbyshire hospitals and schools have controlled access to children's records held by the us. When sharing information we do so in line with the Data Protection Act and agreed information sharing protocols.

Information on other websites