Health, safety, medication and catering policies for care providers
Information about general health and safety issues in both residential and home care services, as well as medication and safe catering policies. Any of the documentation attached to this page can be reproduced or adapted for use in other organisations.
There are many medication policies about different client groups or services types. However, the Medication Management Standards attached to this page is for all services types.
This guidance sets the minimum standards for the assistance and support provided to customers by ourselves, Derby City Council (Adults and Health) and agents acting on our behalf. The guidance is based on current legislation and relevant professional published guidance.
It is expected by both local authorities that any provider acting on their behalf will ensure that the principles within this document are incorporated into their policy and practice.
The safe use of medicines is the responsibility of all professionals, healthcare organisations and customers, and should be discussed with them and significant others.
Safety covers all aspects of medicines usage, including unwanted effects, interactions, safe processes and systems, and effective communication between professionals. All care services are expected to ensure that medicines are received, handled, stored, administered, disposed of and recorded in accordance with statutory and regulatory requirements, as well as best practice recommendations. Risk assessments assist in ensuring that incidents of avoidable harm from medicines are reduced.
Managers must be able to provide evidence of ongoing auditing and monitoring of all the systems in place with regards to the safe management of medication.
Adult Care medication policies are service specific:
The Care Home Medication and Health Related Activities is attached to this page and contains information about:
- adults in long stay establishments and short term respite care
- day services
- administration of medicines.
The Home Care Medication and Health Related Activities policy contains information about:
- prescribed medication
- problems and solutions
- disposal of medication
Health and safety policies
A number of health and safety documents and forms are attached to this page, along with the current Health and Safety Training Brochure.
Assured safe catering
This is a food safety management system and includes:
- controlling food related hazards through preventative measures and critical control points (CCP's)
- monitoring charts
- training records
- managing hygiene audits.
Falls prevention in care homes
The attached draft guidance booklet on falls prevention in care homes has been produced with the aim of assisting the care home sector to reduce the number of falls, and to ensure effective treatment and rehabilitation for those who have fallen.
The booklet provides practical advice and sources of further information for care home owners and managers in relation to general safety management, effective falls management programmes, risk factors and utilising resources. The booklet has been produced with reference to relevant health, safety and regulatory bodies.
The following documents are in Portable Document Format (PDF). You can download software to view PDF documents for free from the Adobe website (opens in a new window)
The following documents are in Word format. You will need a Word viewer installed on your computer in order to open these files.
- Medication Management Standards (108KB)
- Care Home Medication and Health Related Activities (1241KB)
- Home Care Medication and Health Related Activities Policy (292KB)
- Falls Prevention in Residential Homes (666KB)
- Infection Control Policy (433KB)
- Accident and Assault Reporting and Investigation Practice Guidance (266KB)
- Safe System of Work SAMPLE - Use of Electrical Equipment (354KB)
- Health and Safety Frequency of Checks, Inspections and Document Retention Schedules (215KB)
- Health and Safety Portfolio Section 2 General Risk Assessment (185KB)
- Health and Safety - General Risk Assessment Form March 2014 (423KB)
- General Risk Assessment Form SAMPLE March 2014 (434KB)
- DSG Jewellery Clothing Footwear Finger Nails and Personal Belongings (34KB)
- Health and Safety Portfolio Section 6 Maintenance of Equipment (35KB)
- Six Monthly Formal Visual Inspection Checklist for Electrical Items (36KB)
- DSG Hepatitis B Advice to Managers (58KB)
- DSG Barbecues (38KB)
- DSG Wet Shaving (25KB)
- DSG Prevention of Needle Stick Injuries (34KB)
- DSG Prevention of Burns and Scalds due to Total Body Immersion in Hot Water or Contact with Hot Surfaces (34KB)
- DSG Prevention of Burns and Scalds due to Hot Beverages (56KB)
- DSG Maintenance of Buildings and Equipment Controlling Risk (43KB)
- Assured Safe Catering Procedures (1056KB)
- Health and Safety Training 2017-2018 Brochure (369KB)