Personal care and support
There are a number of different options if you want help with personal care at home.
If you want personal care to help you live at home or get out and about these are your options:
- a personal assistant employed directly by you
- our home care services
- accredited home care service agency listed in our Derbyshire Care Services Directory (opens in a new window)
- non-accredited home care service agency
- employing a private individual.
What personal assistants or home care services do
Professional carers have a variety of skills. Some have nursing and first aid qualifications and other may be home helps or personal assistants. Examples of the type of tasks they may undertake are:
- cooking and cleaning
- help with personal care like washing and using the toilet
- driving or help with getting around
- medical tasks like giving injections or changing a catheter
- shopping, banking and paying bills.
Both types of service will help you maintain your independence and remain living within your own home. The option you choose depends on your needs and preference for employing services directly or through an agency.
Disability Derbyshire Coalition for Inclusive Living advertise personal assistant vacancies (opens in a new window). If you want to use their service to advertise for the PA vacancy you are offering then please either use the link above or call them on 01773 740246.
Paying for personal care
If you're a self-funder the payment will be a private transaction between you and the provider.
If you want to access our home care service you'll need to have an assessment. Your assessment will be line with our eligibility criteria. You'll have a support plan that will be reviewed annually or more frequently if your needs change.
Help to find a service
You don't need an assessment to arrange and purchase your own services from a provider if you're funding care yourself. You can use any of the following groups or lists to help you find a service provider:
- our brokerage service to do the searching for a service provider or personal assistant, tel: 01629 537763
- Care Quality Commission (opens in a new window) (CQC) website for accredited home care providers
- NHS Choices service directory (opens in a new window)
- our care services directory
- United Kingdom Homecare Association (opens in a new window)
- the home care information in this section for a list of unaccredited providers.
The CQC website will contain an inspection report on individual home care agencies.
Also on our website
- Derbyshire Dignity Campaign
- Equipment to help at home