Universal Credit fact sheets and advice for professionals

If you're a professional or volunteer supporting someone to claim Universal Credit you may identify other things that they need help and support with. 

One of the easiest ways to refer someone to other services such as housing, social care support, warm homes advice is the First Contact signposting scheme.

We have details of local services that claimants can access, and advice about managing money and debt.

Fact sheets and help for professionals

The fact sheets attached to this page have been created for professionals based on feedback from local staff who reported the type of issues they were facing.

The Government have put together Universal Credit guides (opens in a new window) for partner organisations who are supporting people to claim Universal Credit. 

If you are supporting someone claiming and managing a Universal Credit claim

If you're supporting someone to make or manage a claim they'll need to give their implicit consent for you to speak to the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) on their behalf.

They'll need to note their consent in their Universal Credit online journal who they are giving consent to and what they're happy for you to discuss. The DWP have provided guidance about working with representatives (opens in a new window).

Related documents

The following documents are in Portable Document Format (PDF). You can download software to view PDF documents for free from the Adobe website (opens in a new window)