Managing your money or debts

Whether you are looking for help with loans and credit, dealing with debts or setting a budget, there are lots of local organisations who can help you.

It's important to check that the advice you are being offered is free and that you are not going to end up paying for the help you receive. You can get advice online, over the phone, or face to face.

If you are worrying about managing your money or feel things are getting out of control, then the sooner you begin to tackle the problem the better. Don't feel embarrassed. All those who work to support people with money worries know that these difficulties can arise for lots of reasons, and that it can be a big step to talk to someone about it.

Where to get help

Managing money if you're on Universal Credit

If you've made a claim for Universal Credit, your first payment will be made monthly in arrears. Your first payment may be made slightly more than a month after your claim. In most cases your payment will include housing costs (if applicable). If you rent your house, this means you will be responsible for paying your landlord yourself. If you own your home and are paying a mortgage, please seek advice from the Welfare Rights Service.

If you think you'll struggle to budget with monthly payments, support is available. The organisations listed on this page will be able to support you or put you in touch with someone who can.

For further information please see the attached factsheet 'Universal Credit − managing your money' which contains information about advance payments, paying rent and budgeting advances.

The Money Advice Service have developed a money manager tool (opens in a new window) and put together a guide on drawing up a household budget and managing monthly payments (opens in a new window).

Related documents

The following document is in Portable Document Format (PDF). You can download software to view PDF documents for free from the Adobe website (opens in a new window)

Information on other websites