One of ways that we’re working to improve health and reduce inequalities is to work closely with local communities to make sure that their specific health and wellbeing needs are being met. We do this through eight public health locality teams that work in each of the districts and boroughs of Derbyshire.
The eight locality teams are based in the following areas:
- Amber Valley
- South Derbyshire
- Derbyshire Dales
- High Peak
- North East Derbyshire
Each team works closely with local communities, groups and services to find out what the specific health and wellbeing needs of that area are. They then draw up plans to tackle those priorities. This includes funding local projects and working in partnership with local voluntary groups, district and borough councils and health organisations.
The teams also support and promote countywide public health programmes. The work that is carried out varies from area to area and covers everything from training and health education to setting up savings schemes for children and improving educational attainment levels.
Here are just a few examples of projects across the county:
- chill out events for young carers
- health education, employment and training events offered to secondary schools in Bolsover
- Balance Bikeability - disability cycling and learn to ride programmes in South Derbyshire aimed at teaching vulnerable children and adults essential cycling skills
- development of the South Derbyshire ‘Breastfeeding Welcome Here’ award scheme
- setting up Junior Savings Schemes in North East and Chesterfield
- the Raising Aspirations Programme to improve prospects for Key Stage 4 pupils
Some areas have a Small Grants Scheme that offers funding to help local groups and organisations to carry out projects that support health and wellbeing. Criteria for funding differs from scheme to scheme but the projects will need to be in line with the priorities detailed in the local public health plans.
Each scheme is different. For more information about your local grant scheme contact the relevant area.
Tel: 01773 512076
Download the small grants information and application forms from the Bolsover Strategic Partnership
Tel: 01246 555908
Visit Derbyshire Dales Council for Voluntary Service
Tel: 01629 812154
Tel: 01283 595776