You don't always know you have the flu virus, and you can pass it on without knowing, even to the people you live with. That's why we all need to do everything we can to prevent the spread of the illness.
If you're one of our employees who work directly with older people, disabled children and other vulnerable groups then you're eligible for a free flu vaccination.
We've made it as easy as possible for you to get your free flu jab, as this year it is particularly important to get you flu jab to protect you and your family from flu.
If you're reluctant to get the jab because of things you've heard, then we bust a few of the most common flu myths. This short video also explains why it's so important to get your flu vaccination.
To find out more email email@example.com
Staff with the following job roles and areas of work are currently eligible to receive free flu vaccinations:
- all care home staff in our residential care homes
- adult care social workers and community care workers
- our day centre staff
- all staff working within the children's directorate - this includes those with roles working directly with children and families such as children's home staff, children's centre staff and PAFT teams, social workers and other staff undertaking direct work or likely to need to cover such work in a staff shortage
- foster carers
- Live Life Better Derbyshire staff
- public health staff
- emergency planning staff
- Call Derbyshire staff
This is not an exhaustive list. A decision to offer the seasonal flu vaccination to staff will be based on local assessment of likely risk and exposure to flu, including risk to vulnerable service users.
Your manager can advise you whether you're eligible to receive the free vaccination or not.
Getting your free flu vaccination
If you're one of our employees who has been identified as being eligible to receive a free flu vaccination then you now have several ways of getting it.
If you work in one of our residential homes for older people there will be a clinic on site.
We'll be holding on-site clinics at special schools across Derbyshire.
This year we're working with local pharmacies to offer free flu vaccinations. You'll need to bring your Derbyshire County Council ID badge with you in order to get the free jab.
Please be aware that you may need to make an appointment at some pharmacies this year to enable social distancing. Please phone your local pharmacy to check.
Many pharmacies are currently experiencing delays with vaccine deliveries and are expected to be able to offer vaccination from November.
You may also be eligible to receive a free flu vaccination if you:
- are 65 years of age or over
- are pregnant
- have certain medical conditions including asthma, a weakened immune system, bronchitis and chronic liver disease
- receive a carer's allowance, or you are the main carer for an elderly or disabled person whose welfare may be at risk if you fall ill
- live with someone who is on the shielded list or you expect to be with them most days over winter
- later in the year, the flu vaccine may be given to 50 to 64-year-olds - more information will be available later in the autumn
If you're eligible for a free vaccination for any of these reasons, and choose to take this up with your GP or local pharmacy, we'd be grateful if you could let your manager know that you have been vaccinated.
This will help us to keep accurate records of the number of staff vaccinated.
For most healthy people, flu is an unpleasant but fairly short lived illness that includes symptoms such as:
- a high temperature of 38°C (100.4°F) or above
- tiredness and weakness
- a headache
- general aches and pains
- a dry, chesty cough
For healthy people, recovery generally takes up to a week.
However, older people, the very young, pregnant women and those with a health condition are at particular risk from the more serious effects of flu.
The impact of flu on frail and vulnerable people can be very serious and in some cases even fatal.
That's why it's so important that you, as a frontline worker, do all you can to protect you, your family and those you care for, and get you free flu jab.
Pharmacy flu providers by area
- Lam Pharmacy & Health Ltd T/A Tambers Pharmacy, 45 Derby Road, Swanwick, Alfreton, DE55 1AB
- Manor Pharmacy, 1 Limes Avenue, Alfreton, DE55 7DW
- Riddings Pharmacy, 31 Greenhill Lane, Riddings, Alfreton,DE55 1LU
- Well, 40 Nottingham Road, Somercotes, Alfreton, DE55 4JJ
- Manor Pharmacy, Whitemoor Lane Medical Centre, Whitemoor Lane, Belper, DE56 0JB
- Manor Pharmacy, 57 King Street Belper, DE56 1QA
- Rowlands Pharmacy, Kelvingrove Medical Centre, 28 Hands Road, Heanor, DE75 7HA
- Manor Pharmacy, 21 Ilkeston Road, Heanor, DE75 7DT
- Peak Pharmacy, 67 Mansfield Road, Heanor, DE75 7AL
- Amber Pharmacy, The Arthur Medical Centre, Four Lane Ends, Horsely Woodhouse, DE7 6AX
- Holmfield Chemist Ltd, 1 High Street, Codnor, Ripley, DE5 9QB
- Manor Pharmacy, 1 to 2 Oxford Street, Ripley, DE5 3AG
- Blackwell Pharmacy (Part of Evans Branches), 6 Gloves Lane, Blackwell, Alfreton DE55 5JJ
- Well, 9 Market Place, South Normanton, Alfreton, DE55 2BN
- Rowlands Pharmacy, 38 Town End, Bolsover, Chesterfield, S44 6DT
- Rowlands Pharmacy, 2 Town End, Bolsover, Chesterfield, S44 6DT
- The Springs Pharmacy (Shires Pharmacies), Clowne Health Centre, Villa Park, Clowne S43 4PL
- Shires Pharmacy, 18 Main Street, Shirebrook, Mansfield, NG20 8DG
- Rowlands Pharmacy, 9 to 11 Patchwork Row, Shirebrook, Near Mansfield, DG20 8AL
- Market Pharmacy (Shires Pharmacies), 56/60 Victoria Street, Shirebrook, Near Mansfield, NG20 8AQ
- Well, 1 Waverley Street, Tibshelf, DE55 5PS
- Gilbert and Armstrong, The Square, Whitwell, Worksop, S80 4QR
- Well, 189 Birkenstyle Lane, Stonebroom, Alfreton, DE55 6LD
- Brimington Pharmacy, 54 Church Street, Brimington, Chesterfield S43 1JG
- Peak Pharmacy, 540 Sheffield Road Whittington, Chesterfield, S41 8LY
- Peak Pharmacy, Ashgate Manor, Ashgate Road, Chesterfield, S40 4AA
- Peak Pharmacy, 148 High Street, New Whittington, Chesterfield, S43 2AN
- Peak Pharmacy, 6 Market Place, Staveley, Chesterfield, S43 3UR
- Peak Pharmacy, 9 Church Street, Staveley, Chesterfield, S43 3TL
- Peak Pharmacy, 92 Saltergate, Chesterfield, S43 1LG
- Peak Pharmacy, 624 Chatsworth Road, Chesterfield, S40 3JX
- Peak Pharmacy, 25 Market Place, Chesterfield, S40 1PJ
- Peak Pharmacy, Wheatbridge Road, Chesterfield, S40 2AB
- Peak Pharmacy, Attlee Road, Inkersall S43 3ST
- Hathersage Healthcare Ltd, Main Road, Hathersage, Hope Valley S32 1BB
- Lam Pharmacy Health Ltd T/A Tideswell Pharmacy, Queen Street, Tideswell, Near Buxton SK17 8JT
- Jayne A Hibbard Pharmacy, Darley Dale Medical Centre, Dale Road South, Darley Dale, Matlock, DE4 2EU
- BJ Wilson Ltd, 43 Station Road, Draycott
- BJ Wilson Lt, Victoria Avenue, Borrowash
- Manor Pharmacy, 2 Barley Close, Little Eaton, Derby, DE21 5DJ
- Evans Pharmacy, 11 Wilsthorpe Road, Breaston, Derby, DE72 3EA
- Evans Pharmacy, The Old Station Surgery, Heanor Road, Ilkeston, DE7 8ES
- Evans Pharmacy, 22 Queen Elizabeth Way, Kirk Hallam, Ilkeston, DE7 4NU
- Evans Pharmacy, Cotmanhay Medical Centre, Skeavingtons Lane, Ilkeston, DE7 8SX
- Wells, 56 South Street, Ilkeston, DE7 5QJ
- Peak Pharmacy, 40 Nottingham Road, Ilkeston DE7 5NL
- Peak Pharmacy, 27 to 29 Bath Street, Ilkeston, DE7 8AH
- Manor Pharmacy, Ilkeston Health Centre, South Street, Ilkeston, DE7 5PZ
- Mior Pharmacy, The Mior Medical Centre, Regent Street, Long Eaton, NH10 1QC
- Peak Pharmacy, Sawley Health Centre, 60 Draycott Road, Long Eaton, NH10 3FR
- Evans Pharmacy, 84 College Street, Long Eaton, Nottingham, NH10 4NP
- Jaysons Pharmacy, 3 Market Place. Long Eaton, Nottingham, NG10 1
- Evans Pharmacy, Unit L The Dales, West Hallam, DE7 6GR
- Peak Pharmacy, 3 Scarsdale Place, Buxton, SK17 6EF
- Peak Pharmacy, 7 Green Land, Chinley, High Peak, SK23 6BA
- Well, 40 Market Street, Whaley Bridge, High Peak, SK23 7LP
- Peak Pharmacy, 4 to 5 Thornbrook Road, Chapel-en-le-Frith, Stockport, SK23 0LX
- Well, Norfolk Street, Glossop, SK13 8BS
North East Derbyshire
- Calow Pharmacy, 28 Church Lane, Calow, Chesterfield, S44 5AH
- Peak Pharmacy, New Bridge Street, Clay Cross, Chesterfield, S45 9NG
- Peak Pharmacy, 14 The Green, North Wingfield, Chesterfield, S45 5LQ
- Peak Pharmacy, 7 to 9 Market Place, Clay Cross,Chesterfield, S45 9JE
- Peak Pharmacy, 190 North Wingfield Road, Grassmoor, Chesterfield, S42 5ED
- Peak Pharmacy, 5 Greendale Shopping Centre, Green Lane, Dronfield, S18 2LJ
- Peak Pharmacy, Gosforth Valley Med Centre, Gorsey Brigg, Dronfield Woodhouse, S18 8UE
- Peak Pharmacy, 2A Bridge Street, Killamarsh, Sheffield S21 1AH
- Tupton Pharmacy, 2 Green Lane, New Tupton, Chesterfield, S45 6BH
- Well, Bridge Street, Pilsley, Chesterfield, S45 8HE
- Peak Pharmacy, Gresleydale Health Centre, Glamorgan Way, Church Gresley, Swadlincote, DE11 9JT
- Etwall Pharmacy, 4 to 6 Chestnut Grove, Etwall, Derby, DE56 6NG
- Good Life Pharmacy, 60 to 62 Station Road, Hatton, Derby,DE65 5EL
- Hilton Pharmacy, Welland Road, Hilton, Derby, DE65 5GZ
- Well, 1 Potter Street, Melbourne, Derby, DE73 8HW
- BJ Wilson Ltd, 39 Linton Road, Castle Gresley, Swadlincote, DE11 9HS
- Brennans Pharmacy, (part of PCT Healthcare branches), Swadlincote Surgery, Darklands Road, Swadlincote, DE11 0PP
- Dean and Smedley Ltd, 73 Burton Road, Woodville, Swadlincote, DE11 7JE
- Dean and Smedley Ltd, 1 West Street, Swadlincote, DE11 9DG
- Dean and Smedley Ltd, Newhall Pharmacy High Street, Newhall, Swadlincote, DE11 0HU