If you're unsure if you're ready to foster, you could start by welcoming a young person aged 16 or over into your home. We call this supported lodging.
It protects anyone who is leaving a local council's care or who is at risk of homelessness. By welcoming a young person into your home, you can provide emotional support and help them learn the everyday, practical skills they will need for adult life.
All you need is a spare room in your safe and supportive family home and the time to teach simple skills to a young person.
Everybody is different, but they may need help with:
- getting into education, training or work
- managing money
- learning to cook and do housework
- attending appointments
- building confidence
- finding a home
What qualities do you need?
- provide stability, emotional support and a nurturing environment to inspire a young person
- make time for a young person when they need it and help them feel safe
- be calm in a crisis, patient, trustworthy and reliable
- be non-judgmental and understanding
- create and build a mutually respectful relationship
- create a positive and fun environment
- encourage the young person to live independently
- provide opportunities for the young person to learn practical skills such as cooking, cleaning, shopping and learning to manage a budget
- provide support to help the young person develop social skills and integrate into their community
Who can be a supported lodgings carer?
Supported lodgings providers do not need any special qualifications, but you need to:
- be aged 21 or over with no upper age limit
- have a spare room
- go through a few initial checks before they are assessed
- have some experience of caring for young people
We will consider supported lodgings providers who are:
- of any sexual orientation or gender identity
- married, single, in a civil partnership, living with a partner, divorced or widowed
- a home-owner or renting
- of any religion or no religion
- employed or not working
- of any ethnicity
- with or without children already
- a placement worker to expertly match a young person to you
- weekly payments to cover the costs of hosting a young person
- ongoing training and support for the duration of the placement
How to apply
If you're interested in becoming a supported lodging provider for us, you can ask us a question and apply online.