National Minimum Dataset - social care
The National Minimum Dataset for Social Care (NMDS-SC) is a nationwide collection of information about all social care employees. This covers employees such as social workers, residential workers, home helps, senior managers, administrative staff, cooks, cleaners, project workers and more.
Supporting the provision of high quality social care
The dataset gathers information about services and staff across all service user groups and sectors within social care.
It's a single collection of information from care providers about their organisation and their employees (paid and unpaid). It includes both local authorities and private, voluntary and independent social care providers.
The information can be used, confidentially, to make policy decisions on how to support employers and staff in delivering nationwide high quality social care services.
It also allows interested parties at a local and national level to have a clear picture of how the social care workforce is made up at present. This is in terms of, for example, ethnicity, gender, hours worked, training/qualifications, work base and age group. It allows a local and national debate as to whether we have enough staff with the right skills to provide the full range of care services.
The NMDS-SC has been developed by all the major networks and organisations associated with social care including:
Who is required to complete the dataset?
All care providers (registered and non-registered) are asked to complete the NMDS-SC from the private, voluntary and statutory sectors who offer care services for adults, families and children eg residential, day care, domiciliary, community care, healthcare.
All information will be collected and held in accordance with the Data Protection Act. Individual employers are able to access and use their own information. Apart from this, information will only be available in aggregated and anonymised form and individual staff will not be identified.
Benefits of using the NMDS-SC online
The NMDS-SC provides:
- a single source of holding information about services and workers that will enable employers to plan their business activity and determine the skills base needed by the workforce now and into the future.
- an overview of the whole workforce, wherever they are situated or based.
- reports to employers that will enable informed business decisions and enable employers to access different staff development or business development funding
For business planning:
- the NMDS-SC enables planning at a local, regional and national level. This is critical in providing stability and growth in the social care industry.
- provides instant standard reports, which benchmark your business with other employers locally, regionally and nationally.
- allows improved workforce development planning
Different levels of information are available to local, regional and national organisations to help identify funding, training and resources required to support social care employers.
Management Information Team
Room B241, South Block
Tel: 01629 532174