Alert close - icon Fill 1 Copy 10 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Untitled-1 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Fill 1 Copy 10 menu Group 3 Group 3 Copy 3 Group 3 Copy Page 1 Group 2 Group 2 Skip to content

Universal Credit support and advice services

If you need support and advice about Universal Credit and how it will affect you there is a variety of information and advice available. You may find that you need support with other things too, such as housing or help with keeping warm in winter.

Library services

Derbyshire libraries can help with Universal Credit enquiries and may also be able to give practical support to make an online claim. They can also tell you about other local services that you may benefit from.


Tel: 01629 533444

Derbyshire Law Centre

Derbyshire Law Centre can provide legal services on social welfare law. They're open Monday to Friday, from 9:30am to 4:30pm:

Unemployed Workers Centre

Derbyshire Unemployed Workers' Centre can provide a mixture of telephone and open door drop-in welfare rights advice. Tel: 01246 231441.

Your local Jobcentre Plus

Staff at your local job centre may be able to answer any general queries you have about Universal Credit.

Citizens Advice

Derbyshire Citizens Advice offer advice clinics in GP surgeries and libraries as well as at their own offices. Find details of your local office and contact them to make an appointment.

The national Citizens Advice service has advice about a whole range of things.


The Derbyshire Directory has details of local not for profit community groups, charities, advice and support services.

Community Directory Derbyshire is a list of voluntary and community groups active in Derbyshire.

Welfare Rights Service

Our Welfare Rights Team can help with all benefits related enquiries including checking that you're getting the right benefits and giving advice if you think a claim decision is wrong.


Tel: 01629 531535 from 11am to 4pm on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday.

Online information

The Money Advice Service and Citizens Advice all have useful information about money and benefits, including Universal Credit on their websites.

Further advice

Please see our information on preparing for Universal Credit, managing debt and money and getting help to make an online claim.

Other support

First Contact Signposting Scheme

You can use First Contact to access a whole range of services including keeping your home warm, social care support, keeping safe at home, emotional and mental wellbeing support and much more.

Health and wellbeing

We've lots of information including staying warm in winter, mental health support and improving your physical health in our health and wellbeing section.


You can find out more about how to get support with housing from your local borough or district council.

Disability Employment Service

The Disability Employment Service can help you get into work if you've got a disability or long term health condition.

Caring for someone

If you look after someone Carers in Derbyshire has information about support for carers. You can search for groups and services in your local area.

Support for families

If you're a parent you can find out all about services for children and families by searching the family information service. This includes registered childcare services. We've also got information about claiming childcare costs through Universal Credit.

If your child is disabled or has special needs, see the Local Offer.

If you need someone to talk to

You can contact the Samaritans at any time of the day or night, tel: 116 123.

If you are experiencing domestic violence you can ring the Derbyshire Domestic Abuse Helpline tel: 0800 0198 668 or 01246 540646.