Alert close - icon Fill 1 Copy 10 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Untitled-1 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Fill 1 Copy 10 menu Group 3 Group 3 Copy 3 Group 3 Copy Page 1 Group 2 Group 2 Skip to content

Universal Credit fact sheets and advice for professionals

If you're a professional or volunteer supporting someone to claim Universal Credit you may identify other things that they need help and support with. 

One of the easiest ways to refer someone to other services such as housing, social care support, warm homes advice is the  First Contact signposting scheme.

We have details of  local services that claimants can access, and advice about  managing money and debt.

Fact sheets and help for professionals

The fact sheets attached to this page have been created for professionals based on feedback from local staff who reported the type of issues they were facing.

The Government have put together  Universal Credit guides for partner organisations who are supporting people to claim Universal Credit. 

If you are supporting someone claiming and managing a Universal Credit claim

If you're supporting someone to make or manage a claim they'll need to give their implicit consent for you to speak to the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) on their behalf.

They'll need to note their consent in their Universal Credit online journal who they are giving consent to and what they're happy for you to discuss. The DWP have provided  guidance about working with representatives.

Supporting someone experiencing domestic abuse or emotional problems

If you are supporting someone experiencing, or at risk of domestic abuse, you can give them the phone number for the Derbyshire Domestic Abuse Helpline: 0800 0198 668 or 01246 540646

The Samaritans are there to help at any time of the day or night on Tel: 116 123