Local studies and local history
Find out more about your community and research the history of your house or family.
Local studies libraries collect information on:
- towns and villages
- houses and buildings
- industries and organisations
- local individuals and families
- traditions, customs and folklore.
All Derbyshire libraries have a basic range of local history books you can borrow. Larger libraries have reference collections including local newspapers, census returns, maps and photographs for their local area. These reference collections are available, free of charge, for everybody to use.
Derbyshire Lives through the First World War
Derbyshire libraries are sharing the real life experiences and accounts of the First World War from the letters and diaries of soldiers from the Derbyshire area.
You can access AncestryLibrary.com at any Derbyshire Library for free.
Find out more about the history of Derbyshire and surrounding area.
- Online resources
- Picture the Past (opens in a new window)
- Online access to 17th, 18th and 19th Century newspapers including the Derby Mercury