Breastfeeding welcome in libraries
We aim to create an atmosphere in which breastfeeding mothers may feel comfortable and relaxed when using our libraries and we have a “Breastfeeding Welcome Here” pledge to support this.
Our commitment to breastfeeding mothers:
- we acknowledge and support the rights of women to breastfeed their children within the library
- we will respond in a positive manner when our support is required
- if a mother wishes to breastfeed her baby in private, we will advise her of the facilities available and do our best to provide her with a quiet space to do so
- if a mother is happy to feed her baby in a public area, we will offer her a chair for her comfort and convenience
- we will ensure that our pledge is carried out in all libraries
- we will display our commitment to “Breastfeeding Welcome Here” in all libraries by raising awareness amongst our users
- we will not ask the breastfeeding mother to stop or move to another area of the library if we receive complaints from other library users.