Derby Canal (Sandiacre)

Derby Canal Sandiacre The Derby Canal was built by James Brindley in 1796. It ran from Swarkestone, on the Trent and Mersey Canal to Sandiacre, on the Erewash Canal. 
The canal eventually closed in 1964, giving way to the new and faster transport of the day, the railways. 

Very few sites are still in water, but those that are can be seen at Swarkestone, Sandiacre and Spondon. This section of the former Derby canal is now part of a multiuser route suitable for cycling, horse riding and walking.

Facilities available

  • FootpathYes
  • Bridleway/Horse riding trailYes
  • Picnic areaNo
  • Woodland with public accessNo
  • Wildlife areaNo
  • MuseumNo
  • Light refreshmentsNo
  • ParkingNo
  • ToiletsNo
  • Easy access for allNo
  • On-site informationNo
  • Camping/Caravan siteNo
  • Children's play areaNo
  • GardensNo
  • Nature trailNo
  • Events areaNo
  • Cycle pathYes

Contact details

Address
Unknown
Telephone
Call Derbyshire 08 456 058 058
Email
countrysideservice@derbyshire.gov.uk