Derby Canal (Borrowash)

Borrowash Ullikers Bridge

The Derby Canal was built by James Brindley in 1796. It ran from Swarkestone, on the Trent and Mersey Canal to Sandiacre, on the Erewash Canal.


The canal eventually closed in 1964 and large sections were quickly in-filled with very few sites still in water, but those that are can be seen at Swarkestone, Sandiacre and Borrowash. 

This section of the former Derby canal, including the Borrowash Top Lock, is completely in-filled but the restored Ullickers Bridge, an original canal bridge, is present at the eastern end of the site. A public footpath runs the length of the canal. 

To the east of Station Road in other ownership there is a section of partially restored canal.


Facilities available

  • FootpathYes
  • Bridleway/Horse riding trailNo
  • Picnic areaNo
  • Woodland with public accessNo
  • Wildlife areaNo
  • MuseumNo
  • Light refreshmentsNo
  • ParkingNo
  • ToiletsNo
  • Easy access for allNo
  • On-site informationNo
  • Camping/Caravan siteNo
  • Children's play areaNo
  • GardensNo
  • Nature trailNo
  • Events areaNo
  • Cycle pathNo

Contact details

Address
Station Road
Borrowash
Derby
DE72 3LH
Telephone
Call Derbyshire tel: 01629 533190
Email
countrysideservice@derbyshire.gov.uk