Derbyshire's Waste Strategy to 2026
Derbyshire and Derby City's revised Joint Municipal Waste Management Strategy, 'Dealing with Derbyshire's Waste', sets out a vision and framework to help manage waste sustainably for the communities of Derbyshire and Derby City up to 2026.
Revised waste strategy
The waste strategy 'Dealing with Derbyshire's Waste' sets out a vision and a framework for the period 2013 to 2026. This will help Derbyshire councils to continue to work together to deliver a sustainable waste management service for Derbyshire and Derby City over the coming years. A five yearly review of the strategy will take place to take account of any changes in circumstances, waste policy, legislation and the waste industry. Unnecessary
Building upon the considerable progress made in recent years the strategy includes priorities for action over the next five years and provides a framework for how the 10 councils will work to:
- reduce the amount of waste produced
- reuse, recycle and compost as much material as possible
- find the most sustainable solutions to deal with any waste produced.
The revised strategy retains a recycling and composting target of 55% greater by 2020. This target remains challenging and exceeds the Government's target of 50%.
Council waste action plans
The role of district and borough councils, the waste collection authorities (WCAs), is fundamental to the delivery of the strategy. Ten individual council waste action plans have been developed to support the strategy. The plans detail activities for each council over the next five years which will help local communities and the councils themselves to prevent waste, increase reuse and to recycle and compost more. The plans will be subject to an annual review to monitor progress.
Strategic Environmental Assessment
A Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA) was completed alongside the strategy review to identify any impacts on the environment. The SEA findings are detailed in the Derbyshire Waste Strategy SEA Environment Report.
The revised strategy document, waste action plans and supporting information are attached to this page.
The following documents are in Portable Document Format (PDF). You can download software to view PDF documents for free from the Adobe website (opens in a new window)
- Strategy for Dealing with Derbyshire's Waste (1085KB)
- Amber Valley Waste Action Plan (2570KB)
- Bolsover Waste Action Plan (461KB)
- Chesterfield Waste Action Plan (534KB)
- Derby City Waste Action Plan (1354KB)
- Derbyshire County Council Waste Action Plan (670KB)
- Derbyshire Dales Waste Action Plan (551KB)
- Erewash Waste Action Plan (529KB)
- High Peak Waste Action Plan (605KB)
- North East Waste Action Plan (454KB)
- South Derbyshire Waste Action Plan (1207KB)
- Waste Strategy Options Appraisal Report (5626KB)
- Waste Strategy Forecasting Report (5018KB)
- Waste Strategy Consultation Report (4436KB)