How to reduce food waste and recycle leftovers.
- Plan your meals before going shopping incorporating any excess food from the previous week and using food from the cupboards and freezer.
- After planning write your shopping list and stick to it to avoid purchasing food you may not use.
- Think about portion control and if you need help look at the portion section on the love food hate waste website (opens in a new window) or visit our portion control pages.
- Use up your leftovers in creative tantalising dishes. If you need inspiration then check out the love food hate waste website (opens in a new window) for recipes.
- If you live in Bolsover, Chesterfield, High Peak, North East Derbyshire and South Derbyshire you can recycle ALL your food waste with your garden waste. This includes fruit and vegetable peelings, tea bags, bread and pastries, potatoes, pasta, rice, meat and plate scrapings.
- If you live in Derbyshire Dales you can recycle your food waste in your kerbside food waste caddy.
- For those in Amber Valley and Erewash you can't compost food at the kerbside but if you have a wormery worms love food waste or can be added to your 'Green cone' which is buried in the ground. For more information please visit the Great green systems website (opens in a new window).
- Add raw fruit and vegetable waste to your compost bin (no meat, fish or dairy products).