Ideas for reducing the number of carpets scrapped and reusing old carpet.
Could your carpet be spruced up by using a carpet cleaner?
- If the carpet is in good condition sell it through advertising in your local newspaper or on community noticeboards.
- Check to see if your local charity shop can make use of it.
- Offer it on your local Freecycle (opens in a new window) or freegle (opens in a new window) network.
- Cut it up into smaller sizes and use them as mats for the shed, back door or in the garage.
- Use old carpet as a pond liner (under the waterproof membrane).
- Use it on top of your compost heap to insulate it in winter and then cover with a waterproof sheet or lid.
Carpet can be taken to our household waste recycling centres