Textiles and clothes
Reducing, reusing or recycling items of clothing and textiles (including bedding, curtains and wool).
- Organise your wardrobe to find forgotten clothes and prevent buying unnecessary items.
- Wash clothes and textile items at 30 degrees and avoid using a tumble dryer (where possible) to extend clothes lives.
- Buy clothing and textile items that are longer lasting and better quality.
- Visit Love Your Clothes to find out more about getting the most value from your clothes.
- Get creative and alter, redesign or repurpose clothing and textile items.
- See if there are any courses available to teach how you can repair and upcycle clothing and textile items or contact your local alteration service - find more information about what courses we offer.
- Donate clothes and textile items to charity groups or local groups or projects.
- Pass clothes onto family members or friends – especially useful for baby and children clothes.
- Sell unwanted clothes on internet auction websites, apps or social media.
- Watch out for the plastic sacks that are posted through your mail box occasionally that provide door collections.
Did you know?
- In the UK each home has about £1,200 worth of forgotten clothing.