Nutrition in nursery schools
The 'Derbyshire County Trading Standards guide to Nursery Nutrition for the Under Fives' booklet has been developed by us in partnership with NHS Derbyshire County.
The guide has been produced to support nurseries and other childcare providers in Derbyshire to supply nutritionally balanced meals by providing information on nutrition, menu planning and recipes in order to make small changes that will make a big difference.
The 2010 East Midlands 'Nutrition in Nursery Schools' project looked at the nutritional content of meals supplied to one to four year olds in nurseries. It was recommended that guidance should be available to nursery staff on nutrition and highlighted:
- the need for a nutritionally balanced and varied menu
- provision of frequent meals and snacks at regular intervals
- age appropriate portion sizes
- a reduction in the overall salt content of menus
- drinks to be restricted to water, milk and diluted fruit juices.
If you would like to know more about the project, please contact us tel: 01629 533190.
If you would like support in nursery nutrition (information or training) please contact Children and Young People's Health Promotion tel: 01246 868434.