Booking a Workforce Development courseYou can book a place on a course by telephone or booking form.
To book by phone call any of our Training Officers. If a place is available you will be booked on to the course straight away and this will be your confirmation of a place.
Our office hours for bookings are Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday (excluding Bank Holidays) 8.30am to 5.00pm and Tuesday 10.00am to 5.00pm.
If you prefer not to book by telephone, you will find a booking form on each course page. You can apply for multiple courses for yourself, or if you are a manager, for one or more members of staff using this form.
In order to book onto any of the courses offered by the Workforce Development Team you must first have completed a 'personal training profile'.
You can set up your profile by completing the 'Personal Profile' form which is attached to each course listed by Workforce Development, or by the individual phoning their nominated Training Officer.
You only need to complete a Personal Training Profile once. However if your circumstances change for example, address or workplace, then you must let us know and we will update your profile.
A few things to note when booking our courses
- Course reference numbers − when applying for a course, either by phone or by post, please ensure you quote the correct course reference number
- If you are a manager booking your staff on to courses, please ensure you make your staff fully aware of any training they are booked on to
- Venue details − letters/emails giving venue details will be sent to your home or email address 3 weeks prior to the start of the course so it is important to notify us of any address or email changes. These letters/emails are NOT confirmation of a course booking
- EYFS Forum - last minute changes to course or venue details are sometimes necessary. Details of any such changes will be listed on the website and via the Derbyshire calendar on the EYFS Forum; therefore it is really important, if you have not already done so, to register your details on this forum so that you can access this information
- Childminders are required to book themselves on individually and not through and associate, however childminders are permitted to book training for assistants in their employment
- Setting Managers − please ensure you cancel any training booked for staff who go on long term sick, maternity leave, or leave their employment at your setting
- All our courses have a three week closing date, if minimum numbers are not reached by this date then the course might have to be cancelled
Cancelling your course booking
If you need to cancel your place on a course booked through the Workforce Development Team, we need at least 5 days notice before the course starts. Cancelling your place within the required notice period enables us to offer your place to someone on the reserve list. To cancel your booking please contact one of the Training Officers.
When you ring, you will be given a cancellation reference number, which confirms you have cancelled your place. During out-of-hours please leave a message on the answerphone service provided and a Training Officer will contact you to provide you with your cancellation reference.
If you cancel your place without giving the required 5 days notice this may affect your eligibility to book onto future courses and/or result in a £50 administration charge.
We appreciate emergencies do happen, therefore you must inform us of your reason for not giving 5 days notice of cancellation, all of which will be considered on an individual basis.
If we have to cancel a course
Occasionally it is necessary for us to cancel a course due to adverse weather conditions, tutor illness or because the required minimum number of participants had not been met. If a course has to be cancelled we will contact you via letter/e-mail, giving you as much notice as possible. Course cancellations will also be listed via the course search function on this website, and the Derbyshire County Council calendar on the EYFS Forum.
Failure to attend a course
There are a number of participants who are still failing to attend the courses they have booked on. This waste of resources has affected the total number of courses we are now able to offer and the areas within Derbyshire that we are able to offer them.
If your booking is made by telephone, then your place on the course will be confirmed at time of booking (or you will be placed on a reserve list). If you book by an application form, a Training Officer will telephone you to confirm your booking.
If you fail, or have failed, to attend a course without giving prior notice on more than TWO occasions, we will cancel you from all further training that you are booked on and will instead add your name to the reserve list for that course. You will then only be granted a place on the course should one become available.
This restriction on bookings will remain in place until the end of the current academic year (September to July). If a place on a course does not become available you may have to arrange and pay for your own training. It is therefore vital that managers booking courses for staff inform staff members of any training they are booked onto.
A register of course participants may be circulated to course members during or after the course which may state names and places of work. Please inform us when you book if you wish to be excluded from such a list.
In pursuit of the Authority's Equal Opportunity Policy, every effort is being made to ensure that the proper access and facilities are available in all venues. In the unlikely event that your chosen venue is unsuitable, we will endeavour to direct you to a choice of more appropriate facilities. Please contact the appropriate Training Team regarding any special requirements you may have.
Your right to quality
We appreciate that many practitioners give up their valuable free time in order to attend the courses we provide. Your views on the training we provide are important and we encourage practitioners to complete a Course Action Plan at the end of their training. The information will enable us to monitor the quality and content of the courses and incorporate your suggestions into future training opportunities wherever possible.
Many of our training courses get full very quickly and we appreciate how frustrating this can be. When you try to book on to a course which is oversubscribed, your training officer will offer you an alternative date or put your name on a reserve list. It is important that your name goes on to the reserve list as we regularly review these. If there is a large level of demand for a particular course in a specific area we will try to arrange additional courses, budgets permitting!