Apply to become an academy sponsor
Applicants are asked to submit their proposal by completing the application form attached to this page.
The new primary schools will be located within the sites of the new housing developments at Boulton Moor and Drakelow Park.
Expected opening date
The timing of the opening will be dependent on the delivery of the housing in each development but it is possible that it could be as early as September 2019.
The age range of the schools will be 4 to 11 years.
The capacity of each school will be 210 pupils in the initial phase. There are two key principles that guide how we wish the see the new schools open.
- There should be sufficient places to ensure that families moving into the new housing developments are able to secure places at the schools
- That the schools serving the new housing developments at Boulton Moor and Drakelow Park do not open in a way that causes problems at the existing primary schools in the area.
We would wish to work with the Promoter to agree a pattern for opening of place provision to ensure this policy is maintained, whilst working with and supporting the existing local schools. These proposals will form part of the evaluation of bids. The maximum period we would expect to provide additional support to the school as its numbers rise is four years.
It is recognised that the Secretary of State will decide on which promoter with whom he/she will enter into a Funding Agreement. However we will make a recommendation to the Secretary of State as to its preferred provider, following evaluation according to our published criteria.
The Department for Education (DfE) will only consider entering into a funding agreement with an approved sponsor. If you are a new proposer, you will need to go through the DfE's sponsor approval process and should contact the DfE as soon as possible and before submitting your full application form to us.
We will evaluate proposals received and provide the DfE with copies of the proposals and our assessment of them. Our assessment criteria mirrors, as far as possible, those used by the DfE. These focus on strategic vision, educational capacity and performance, financial planning and operational capacity and governance.
Additionally, we would expect promoters to demonstrate:
- how they will ensure that pupil achievement and rates of progress are above national expectations
- how they will ensure vulnerable groups of pupils perform as well as other children
- that they have a strong culture of working collaboratively with other education providers locally and in other parts of Derbyshire, and specifically in Boulton Moor and/or Drakelow Park
- how they will support the integration of the development of the new community in Boulton Moor and/or Drakelow Park, including their commitment to working in partnership with local stakeholders
- how they will work in close partnership with us.
You will need to submit a focused and coherent education plan as part of Section C of the application. You will also need to submit a 3 year budget plan as part of Section D of the application.
Applications should be returned no later than 5pm on 3 November 2017 to: Jane.firstname.lastname@example.org. Quote Ref DEV/SVP
The following document is in Word format. You will need a Word viewer installed on your computer in order to open these files.