Alert close - icon Fill 1 Copy 10 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Untitled-1 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Fill 1 Copy 10 menu Group 3 Group 3 Copy 3 Group 3 Copy Page 1 Group 2 Group 2 Skip to content

Flexible working

If you have, or expect to have, parental responsibility of a child aged 16 or under, or a disabled child under 18 who receives Disability Living Allowance (DLA), you have a statutory right to request a flexible working pattern.

To qualify you must:

  • be an employee, but not an agency worker or in the armed forces

  • have worked for your employer for 26 weeks continuously before applying

  • not have made another application to work flexibly under the right during the past 12 months.

You have the right to ask for flexible working - not the right to have it. Your employer must seriously consider any application you make and can only reject it if there are good business reasons for doing so.

If you want to apply, more information is available at the links on this page. 

The process can take up to 14 weeks, so speak to your employer as early as possible.

Other rights

Other rights that help you take time off work if you are caring for someone are: